function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
loneboatloneboat 

Adding component directly to page layout?

Is there some simple way to add a component directly to a page layout?  From what I'm currently reading through, it looks like I can build a custom component, then add it to a VF page, then add that page to a standard page layout.  This is unappealing to me because I have to specify the height of the embedded VF page explicitly (even though I don't know it ahead of time).

What I'd like to do is just add the component directly.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Note:  I found this thread:  http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/General-Development/Apex-Components-in-Default-Page-Layouts/m-p/121316/highlight/true#M28194

... but it's from 2009, and I feared it might be out of date.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Damien_Damien_

Is this possible?

If that is the question, then I'm 99% the answer is No.  The closest you can possibly get to this is having a blank visualforce page that Only contains the component.

You can give it a set size and give it scrollbars though.

All Answers

Damien_Damien_

You can actually just add a visualforce page directly to a layout.  It would accomplish the same thing you desire as your component.  

I recommend making it its own section and making it single column unless you are scaling it down for a reason.

loneboatloneboat

Thanks for the reply.  What I'm asking is how to skip the VF page altogether and just embed a custom component if possible.

I don't like embedding a page because you have to specify an explicit height (something I don't know at design time).

Thanks!

Damien_Damien_

Is this possible?

If that is the question, then I'm 99% the answer is No.  The closest you can possibly get to this is having a blank visualforce page that Only contains the component.

You can give it a set size and give it scrollbars though.

This was selected as the best answer