function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
frankjrfrankjr 

Displaying a lookup field's text values instead of it's ID on a VF page

Hi,

I've got an issue that I've yet to find a good solution.  It seems that others have solved it for their needs, but for me, it continues to plague me.  Here's the issue:

I have a VF page that prints out to PDF.  The VF Page is using a standard controller for the Opportunity table.  In my Opportunity table, I have a CUSTOM field (Customer_Contact__c) that's a lookup to a Contact record. Below is my VF code:

<apex:page standardController="Opportunity" recordSetVar="SelectedOpps" renderAs="pdf">
    <apex:variable var="number" value="{!0}"/>
    <apex:repeat value="{!selected}" var="SelectedOpp">
        <apex:variable var="number" value="{!number + 1}"/>
        <Scout9:StandardSheetLabel LabelNumber="{!number}" ProductName="5164" Brand="Avery" ShowBorder="false">
            <br></br><br></br><br></br><br></br><br></br><br></br><br></br>
            <table width="100%" height="100%" cellpadding="2">
                <tr>
                    <td><apex:outputText value="{!SelectedOpp.Customer_Contact__c}"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                    <td><apex:outputText value="{!SelectedOpp.Account.Name}"></apex:outputtext></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                    <td><apex:outputText escape="false" value="{!SelectedOpp.Customer_Mailing_Address__c}"></apex:outputtext></td>
                </tr>
            </table>
        </Scout9:StandardSheetLabel>
    </apex:repeat>
</apex:page>

The code above will display the contact's ID value, which is great and all, but I need the contact's name, not the ID.  Changing the above line to:

<td><apex:outputText value="{!SelectedOpp.Customer_Contact__c.Name}"/></td>

Only leads to the following error message:

"Error: Unknown property String.Name."

I've tried changing outputText to outputField, but that yields the name as a link, but I don't want a link. I just need to get the name value.  Does anyone know what's going on?  It would seem that the ".Name" notation only works for standard fields.

Help! ~ Thanks in Advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Starz26Starz26

try

<apex:outputText value="{!SelectedOpp.Customer_Contact__r.name}"/>

All Answers

Starz26Starz26

try

<apex:outputText value="{!SelectedOpp.Customer_Contact__r.name}"/>

This was selected as the best answer
frankjrfrankjr

OMG!  I can't believe it's that simple of a solution!  You're a lifesaver Starz26!  Thank you so much for your contribution.  Do you know where this is documented so that I can learn more?