function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NjangaNjanga 

Manipulating standard Visualforce Page

I have custom object which has a picklist as one of the fields, the picklist contains a couple of values. I want a textarea to be shown underneath the picklist when a value has been changed in the picklist. To add on this, how does one manipulate the standard VisualForce page that comes with  every custom object created.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

That isn't a visualforce page - the standard pages are produced using a different mechanism and tend to be a lot faster. 

NjangaNjanga

Thank u for that bob_buzzard!

I have custom object which has a picklist as one of the fields, the picklist contains a couple of values. I want a textarea to be shown once the picklist value has been changed to 'Failed'.  How does one manipulate the standard  page that comes with  every custom object created or how can I achieve that. Any suggestion will be highly appreciate

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

That will be quite tricky to achieve using a standard page - you might be able to achieve it via javascript in a sidebar component but I always try to avoid that route as its unsupported and thus fragile.    We usually just have some help text on the text area and a validation rule that blocks attempts to save a record if the text area has text and should be empty (or vice versa).