function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
robertcw777robertcw777 

Special characters (&) on strings passed to popup page

I’m running into a problem passing a string with an & to a popup page. It causes the string to be truncated at the point of the "&" when I use the string within the popup page controller. I presume I’m dealing with special character issues in the string. Looked around and couldn’t find anything on how to deal with special characters when passing parameters from html to a new page. Do I need to prevent special characters in the string (i.e. check with CONTAINS(&) ) when string is originally entered, or can I escape special characters in this case? If I have to prevent, any other special characters I need to prevent?

Here’s where I set the onclick and pass parameters to javascript function “drilldown”:

<td>

<a href="#" onclick="return drilldown('{!cell.column}','{!cell.value}','{!cell.competency}','{!cell.maturity}','{! cell.location}')">{!cell.value}</a>                                

</td>

The location with the & is “Spokane R&D”. When the html is rendered, it replaces the & with “&amp:” as shown below:

<td>

<a href="#" onclick="return drilldown('4','0','AAA','Best Practice','Spokane R&amp;D')">0</a>                                 

</td>

This is the javascript function “drilldown”:

<script type="text/javascript">

function drilldown(column,cellvalue,competency,maturity,location){

var w=window.open('/apex/CompetencyDrillDownPage?colVar='+column +'&cellVar='+cellvalue+'&compVar='+competency+'&matVar='+maturity+'&locVar='+location,target='_blank')

return False;

};

</script>

From the new page controller:

PageReference PageRef = ApexPages.currentpage();

String column = PageRef.getParameters().get('colVAR');     

String value = PageRef.getParameters().get('cellVAR');

String competency = PageRef.getParameters().get('compVAR');

String maturity = PageRef.getParameters().get('matVAR');

String location = PageRef.getParameters().get('locVAR');

public List<PracticeLocationJTN__c> getPracticesandChoices()

{

System.debug(LoggingLevel.Info, 'xxxx location= '+location);

This is the output of the debug log:

08:40:05.140 (140336000)|USER_DEBUG|[31]|INFO|xxxx location= Spokane R

Saurabh DhobleSaurabh Dhoble

Make sure you replace & character with %26

that should take care of the encoding.

robertcw777robertcw777

Thanks for you reply. I presume you mean to replace the "&" in the field after it is queried and provided to the visualforce page?  I tried this right after the query, and it still renders in the html with  "&amp;" in the web page <td> cell. "compsel" is the list resulting from the query of which location is a field that contains the ampersand.

for(Integer comidx=0;comidx<compsel.size();comidx++) {
           compsel[comidx].CompetencyLocationJTN__r.Location__r.Name.replaceAll('&','%26');
           }

Am I missing something?

Thanks.