function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
arunadeveloperarunadeveloper 

How to change Lookup relation ship to master detail relation ship in prod

Hello All,

I have question, if i need to change the lookup relationship to master detail relationship in prod what are the steps and precautions i need to take.

If that object is having data how to change, please explain the steps to change from lookup to master details in prod. 

Thank you,

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SeAlVaSeAlVa

No data sould be lost, the only that may suffer changes are the reports, style and security (as far as I remember).

Anyway, here you have a link to salesforce docs. http://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/relationships_considerations.htm. Have a look at it (is at the bottom)

And with "ensure that all your tests fill that field", is to your developers to know that if they need to deploy some more code to production, they will need to change their classes (test-methods) to take that 'master-detail' into account..

All Answers

SeAlVaSeAlVa

1st. Ensure that all your records has a value on that field

2nd. Ensure that all your tests fill that field

3rd Change the field from lookup to master-detail

I think that are the main steps to follow.

You have to have in mind all the implications that a master-detail has on your records, like access inheritance, style inheritance, reports, etc.

Kind regards.

arunadeveloperarunadeveloper

what if we have data , are we gonna loose the data in convertion .

what are the steps to take if the data  is there

you have mentioned that  Ensure that all your tests fill that field what is this means ?.

SeAlVaSeAlVa

No data sould be lost, the only that may suffer changes are the reports, style and security (as far as I remember).

Anyway, here you have a link to salesforce docs. http://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/relationships_considerations.htm. Have a look at it (is at the bottom)

And with "ensure that all your tests fill that field", is to your developers to know that if they need to deploy some more code to production, they will need to change their classes (test-methods) to take that 'master-detail' into account..

This was selected as the best answer