function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
geeljiregeeljire 

VF: Questions from a newbie... anyone?

I'm new to VisualForce and the Salesforce platform. I have a few questions related to an app I'm working on:

1) I'm divided between tweaking the standard salesforce pages or designing pages from scratch. While designing from scratch gives me total (?) control over the design, I wouldn't want to manually build the forms, tables, and views etc. On the other hand, although the standard SF pages will save me a lot of time in application development, I've found them terribly hard to tweak. The app I'm working on will use custom salesforce objects. Any general suggestions or guidelines?

2) Thus far, I've had little success in gaining control over header styling. Even when I turn off the standard stylesheets, the custom styles I defined don't always work. Any idea why?

3) Is there a way to customize which header elements to display and which to not? So far, I've only determined how to enable or disable the header altogether.

4) Is it possible to disable SF's costumer portal stylesheets or directly edit the HTML for the header?

I value and welcome your replies, guidance, and advice. Thank you.

- Geeljire

Jeff MayJeff May

If you are trying to change the look of the pages as you describe, it is probably easier to create your own VF pages.  Take a look at <apex:Detail> for your page. It might give you the basic field handling and related lists you are looking for, while you can take care of page headers and other formatting.

Edwin VijayEdwin Vijay

Here are my thoughts

1) It's hard to say, depends upon the requirement. If there are minimal changes, then i would suggest to use embedded Visualforce pages or inline visualforce pages to emed them right into the standard page layouts. If your changes are a ton, then its better to create a standalone VF page.

2) You cannot control the standard header (even if you can by tweaking salesforce's stylesheets locally its not recommended and might cause problems in the future). However, if you are speaking about the portal i guess the portal has options for specifying your own header and footer.

3) As i said you do not have control. You can remove the header completely, and build your own header.

4) Yes you can. If you get into the portal settings under setup you will find a section called "Look and feel". You can upload a html file and link it to the header and footer sections.

Hope that helps

geeljiregeeljire

Thank you both for replying.