function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
snovvblindsnovvblind 

Displaying the Chatter Profile Pic based on a Lookup Field to the User Object

Hi All,

I'm interested in displaying the Chatter Profile pic within a Flight_Resource record, so that it points to a lookup relationship to a user in the User Object. I'm confused as to what the SOQL would look like to implement such a functionality.

I know this involves a custom apex controller and visualforce page. Here's the code below. Do you know how I can modify the controller so that I can get the above functionality to work properly? Any help will be much appreciated!

Page:

<apex:page StandardController="Flight_Resource__c" extensions="profileImageUrl">
    <apex:image id="profileImage" url="{!profileImageUrl}" />
</apex:page>

Controller:

public class profileImageUrl {
    public String profileImageUrl { get; set; }
    List<user> lstuser;

// As this is an extension of standard controller, It must have a parameterized constructor having instance of standard controller.
    public profileImageUrl (ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
         lstuser = [select FullPhotoUrl from User where Id =: UserInfo.getUserId()];
         profileImageUrl=lstuser[0].FullPhotoUrl;  
    }
}

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Probably :controller.getRecord().get('OwnerId') instead.

snovvblindsnovvblind

I'm still learning apex. Can you please write it in a way that will make it compile? :)

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
public class profileImageUrl {
    public String profileImageUrl { get; set; }

// As this is an extension of standard controller, It must have a parameterized constructor having instance of standard controller.
    public profileImageUrl (ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
        for(User owner:[SELECT FullPhotoURL FROM User WHERE Id = :(Id)controller.getRecord().get('OwnerId')]) {
            profileImageUrl = owner.FullPhotoURL;
        }
    }
}

Since you're just getting started, here's some other tips: Don't store information in a class variable if you don't need to (saves memory/view state size). Don't assume your list is non-empty, because it might be for some reason. Avoid using any variables when a simple loop will suffice. If this is supposed to be used in a repeating list (e.g. a list of Chatter posts), consider querying all the users that will have their profiles displayed at once, then passing that into your class.

snovvblindsnovvblind

I modified this slightely, and I'm getting the following error while the visual force component is embedded into the record:

Content cannot be displayed: SObject row was retrieved via SOQL without querying the requested field: Quarterly_Promotions__c.Employee_Name__c

public class ppm_profileImageUrl {
    public String ppm_profileImageUrl { get; set; }

public ppm_profileImageUrl(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
        for(User employeename:[SELECT FullPhotoURL FROM User WHERE Id = :(Id)controller.getRecord().get('Employee_Name__c')]) {
            ppm_profileImageUrl= employeename.FullPhotoURL;
        }
    }
}

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

This occurs because the "default SOQL query" did not include a field you expected. Try using controller.reset()/controller.addFields(), or, even better, use a hidden field (e.g. <apex:outputText value="{!Quarterly_Promotions__c.Employee_Name__c}" rendered="false"/> to force the query to include this field.