function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
goravsethgoravseth 

Creating a VF Page where Users can customize a few fields on the User Object

I'm an admin, not a developer, so this is a general post on the right approach for this use case.

We have built a custom button on opps that creates a new record on custom object.  The button references a few fields on the running user, to determine the default values for certain fields on the new record.

Basically, it allows different users to use the same button and have their own customized default values.  Works great, but not scalable (admins have to set the default values for each user, users cant update their choices themselves)

So, now that the prototype is working, I'm looking at how to approach building a visualforce page and controller that would allow users to do this themselves.  The chatter profile subtabs coming in winter 14 sound like the perfect place to display this.

So, my questions:

1. is this a valid and reasonable approach to take for this use case

2. any tips on getting the custom controller to get and set variables from the running user?  is it reasonably straightforward?

3. the custom controller would run in system mode, so i should be ok in regards to permissions, right?

Thanks!

Gorav