function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
learningsfdcdevlearningsfdcdev 

VF calling javascript on load

Right now, I have a selectoptions on my vf page that has several checkboxes. If Checkbox Value 1 is selected, another  input text field is displyed and if unchecked it is hidden again which is wrapped around a div called showfield.  The script below works great but if the value is pre-checked on page load(since it is passed from another page), the textbox should display or not display depending on if it is checked. How can I ensure in visualforce, that my script below runs immediatley after the DOM is loaded? when I did an alert the getchkboxvalue is undefined.....i tried domcontentloaded and that didn't work either, when i tried windows.load the alert boxes said undefined when i tried to output getchkboxvalue value

<apex:outputPanel >
                            <apex:selectCheckBoxes onchange="Showdiv(this)" value="{!checkboxes}" required="true" id="checkboxes" >
                            <apex:selectOptions value="{!checkboxes}"/>
                             </apex:selectCheckBoxes>
  </apex:outputPanel>

<div id = "showfield" style="display:none;">             
                 <apex:panelGrid columns="2" columnClasses="labelCol,input" styleClass="inputGrid">    
                    <apex:outputLabel id="myfieldId" for="myField" ><span class="required">* </span> myField:</apex:outputLabel>
                    <apex:inputField id="myField" value="{!Lead.myField}" required="false"/>
                </apex:panelGrid>
                </div> 

</script>
      function Showdiv(var1){
           var getchkboxvalue=var1.value;
         if(getchkboxvalue=='Checkbox Value 1' && var1.checked==true){
              document.getElementById('showfield').style.display='block';
           }
               if(getchkboxvalue=='Checkbox Value 1' && var1.checked==false){
                    document.getElementById('showfield').style.display='none';
            }
        }
        </script>  
    </body> 

pinoytechiepinoytechie

You can insert a <body> tag just after the <apex:page>, then specifiy the JS function you intend to execute when DOM is loaded, i.e.

<apex:page ... some stuffs>
<body onload="executeThisOnLoad()">
</apex:page>

I tried that and still doesnt' work when page is initially ]loaded.

<body onLoad = "Showdiv()">

I am testing this by checking a  certain checkbox right away by passing the hard-coded boolean value for that checkbox into the URL -  see below. It also needs to be test it this way since this page is accessed via a URL from another vf page. When I click the link below, it should automatically locate the value associated to Checkbox Value 2 and if true, then it should hide the field but it still shows...

https://cs4.salesforce.com/apex/myVF?tId=008456235442444&Checkbox Value 2=1

Right now my javascript is bound to the onChange function of my selectCheckboxes vf tag below.  So after the page is loaded when I uncheck the checbox  or click a different checkbox  like Checkbox Value 1 then the field is auto-displayed again which works as intended but it only seems to work when i uncheck and check something after the page is intially loaded.  thoughts?

<apex:selectCheckBoxes onchange="Showdiv(this)" value="{!checkboxes}" required="true" id="checkboxes" >

pinoytechiepinoytechie

it will not work because showDiv needs a parameter, reason why i didn't use showDiv in my sample.

what you can do is create a new JS function that gets the checkbox object, then call showDiv from there, passing the acquired checkBox object.

i.e.

function onloadCallBack() {
    var checkBox = document.getElementById('your_checkbox_id');
    if (checkBox) {
       Showdiv(checkBox);
    }
}

then call the new function from onload event of the document (<body>)

<body onload="onloadCallBack()">

This solution makes sense. I will test it out tonight(pst). Can't do it now since we are testing.  If it works id be happy to mark as solution and give you kudos. stay tuned