function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sapthagiri_186sapthagiri_186 

Having multi-picklist in formula field

Hi, 

I got a requirement wherein if a user adds a new contact then certain fields of its respective account record's must get auto-saved. In this process, I have got a picklist and a multi-picklist in the account object and I am using formula fields to get them auto-saved. I could achieve this for picklist value however, I am not able to do the same for multi-picklist. So, could any know let me know if there is any other alternative to this.

Note : I am using Professional Edition

Regards

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

Multi-picklist can be referred in formula fields but there are few constraints. Please refer following help link for details:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=tips_for_using_picklist_formula_fields.htm&language=en_US

I would like to know if cross object formula fields support for multi-picklist.
Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Yes, multi-select picklist are supported in cross-object formula fields with only following functions:

INCLUDES
    ISBLANK
    ISNULL
    ISCHANGED (Only in assignment rules, validation rules, workflow field updates, and workflow rules in which the evaluation criteria is set to Evaluate the rule when a record is: created, and every time it’s edited)
    PRIORVALUE (Only in assignment rules, validation rules, workflow field updates, and workflow rules in which the evaluation criteria is set to Evaluate the rule when a record is: created, and every time it’s edited)

Thanx for the quick reply. I am using the following formula for picklist to have values from account auto populated into their respective fields in contact object, and this happens once the record is saved.

If(Text( Primary_Group__c) == '',Text( Account.Primary_Group__c),Text(Primary_Group__c))

Similarly, I have got another field, "Secondary Group", which in this instance is a multi-picklist. I tried using ISBLANK, but I did get a syntax error asking me to refer on how to use formula fields for multi-picklist fields.

Thanx again.

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

I just tested and it is working for me. I created a multi-picklist multipick__c on Contact and included in a formula field on Accounts with return type text as:

IF(ISBLANK(Owner.Contact.multipick__c),'true','false')

I am using it in the following manner :

IF(ISBLANK(Secondary_Group__c), Account.Secondary_Group__c,Secondary_Group__c)

Here, "Secondary_Group__C is a multi-picklist, if it blank, then the value from its respective Account object (Account.Secondary_Group__c) must show up else not.

and I am getting the following error :

Error: Field Secondary_Group__c is a multi-select picklist field. Multi-select picklist fields are only supported in certain functions. Tell me more

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hi,

You have Secondary_Group__c field on Account object, on which object are you creating formula? You can not refer a field directly, without providing relationship in the formula field which is on another object.

I have Secondary_Group__c field both in "Account" and "Contact" objects and I am creating the formula field on "Contact" object

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Okay, i think you are returning picklist value directly instead of the text. Try like:

IF(ISBLANK(Secondary_Group__c), Text(Account.Secondary_Group__c),Text(Secondary_Group__c))

If this doesn't work then change the field name on either object.

Sorry, this hasn't worked and was getting the same error as above. And created new fields and tested it as well.
Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Strange, i would suggest you to log a case with support for investigation because it is working for me.

Okay and thanx for helping around.