function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DcoderDcoder 

Having Ideas on sites

Hi All,

plz see if neone can help me out...

i wanted to know if we want to expose ideas functionality thru sites to external users on internet, how to achieve it,....i saw starbucks idea site below

http://mystarbucksidea.force.com/

so by seeing the link it seems that it has been implemented thru Sites but when i tried to expose std Ideas page thru sites its asking for login ...........so i hv few questions:

1. how to expose std ideas thru sites?
2. do i need to develop user registration from scratch or it can be done using customer portal?
3. how much VF work is needed to develop a site like starbucks?
4. users should be able to see existing ideas and comments without login, if they want to post an idea or vote/comment on some idea then only they are required to login. so how to implement this?

if my questions are not clear, plz let me know...
thanks
dcoder
krishnagkrishnag

hi dcoder the starbucks idea page is not same as salesforce ideas page. they built the site using visualforce pages as a portal.we have done a similar one for our company it took is like almost two weeks for logic part. for the userinterface visualforce we used combination of html and java script to achieve that functionality.but due to some reasons we didnot completed it.

krishnagkrishnag

so basically u need to redesign the whole portal in visualforce pages and put them in sites.

DcoderDcoder

Thanks krishang! 

ok, so you mean that to develop such site there has to be a lot of work done in VF and they have not used Std Ideas tabs rather they implemented Ideas functionality in custom way using VF, right?

How would they have handled user registration/login ? I think, they might have used customer portal for it.

regards

dcoder

DcoderDcoder

Hello everyone,

I tried to put the std Ideas page as home page for my test site in Dev org. Also, included ideas page in VF pages available to the site. The site profile has read access to Ideas object. Site is not required to have any login. But still, whenever I am clicking on link to open my test site, it is showing 'Authorizarion Required' page. There is no way on that page to login also. So, I am bit confused to how to achive this. Plese share your thoughts.

thanks

dcoder

DcoderDcoder

Hi All,

I have built a VF page showing Ideas from a custom Open Community that I have created. I made this VF page as home page of my Site (Salesforce) and given read access on Ideas to guest user profile. When I am not logged in my dev org and try to access that site URL then I am not able to see any data in that VF page. only VF page is shown.

Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong here.

thanks

dcoder

Tammy LopezTammy Lopez
There are many ways to come up with ideas for websites like Partner hours Starbucks (https://starbuckspartnerhour.com/) . Some methods include:
Identifying a need: Look for problems or gaps in the market that a website could solve.
Researching competitors: Look at existing websites in your industry and see what they're doing well and what they're not.
Brainstorming: Gather a group of people and brainstorm different website ideas.
Surveying: Ask people what type of website they would like to see or what problems they have that a website could solve.
Keeping up with trends: Stay current on the latest technologies, design trends, and user behavior to generate ideas that align with them.
Personal interest: Create a website on a topic you are passionate about.
Ultimately, the key to coming up with a successful website idea is to identify a need or problem that your target audience is facing and to create a website that addresses that need in a unique and useful way.