function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
paul-lmipaul-lmi 

Improving performance of Sites platform

I've been running ySlow on our Sites pages to optimize our sites config for production.  In doing so, I've found a number of areas that can be improved, but are out of our control due to being handled directly by the platform.

Grade F on Add Expires headers

There are 4 static components without a far-future expiration date.

Web pages are becoming increasingly complex with more scripts, style sheets, images, and Flash on them. A first-time visit to a page may require several HTTP requests to load all the components. By using Expires headers these components become cacheable, which avoids unnecessary HTTP requests on subsequent page views. Expires headers are most often associated with images, but they can and should be used on all page components including scripts, style sheets, and Flash.

Since these components are static, and clearly versioned by URL, setting a far-future expires header should definitely be done for these.

Also, these 3 files are not minified, but should be, to ensure faster download.

/static/101210/js/functions.js

/static/101210/desktop/desktopAjax.js

/static/101210/js/picklist.js

I'd also like to request that the CDN be used for delivering static resource content over SSL, if not done already.  Since this content is static on both SSL and non-SSL browsing, using the CDN to deliver it is a better strategy for performance of the site, as well as reduced load on SF's SSL front end.

apexsutherlandapexsutherland

Great suggestions Paul, can you post to the IdeaExchange and give us the link so that we can vote it up?

paul-lmipaul-lmi
i'll tweet this, but with this, here's a total of 6 i think are critical to scaling the Sites platform http://bit.ly/bundles/plmcgrn/3