function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SATable-MarkSATable-Mark 

General Force.com Sites Question

Hi guys

I just found Salesforce this week, so I am very new at thi. So excuse 'dumb' questions.

I am thinking about launching a website and using the Force.com platform. Now Force.com Sites are available, I am thinking of using this as the UI interface for the public site as well.

To cut to the chase: I am looking to develop a website where restaurants can adertise (and edit all their account info on the website). And visitors to the website can book these restaurants on the site.

My question is,  is it necessary for restaurants to become 'users' of force.com platform and in essence pay the membership cost to salesforce in order to update all the information on the website? Same applies to visitors to the website, who will need to register their Names, Contat info in order to book...do these need to become registered users of salesforce and in essence pay membership fees?

Thanks

Mark 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

Mark,

Force.com Sites provides unauthenticated (anonymous) access where everyone accessing to your site is the same person from your site point to view.

Force.com Sites provides seamless integration with Customer and Partner portals for authenticated access where users authenticate themselves and become known portal users (and use portal license) when your flow requires authentication. 

Seems like your flow requires at least the restaurants to authenticate themselves in order to update their specific data which means you would need a portal license for each of these type of users

Customers making reservations, may or may not need to authenticate depending on the flow; if they need to return and check their orders/profile etc then yes if not then no.

Basically in this flow you are the salesforce customer, and you are purchasing all the necessary licenses for your customers. If you go with this flow, the main thing you need to focus is to make sure your have the correct sharing setting in order to prevent restaurants/customers accessing others data. 

All Answers

BulentBulent

Mark,

Force.com Sites provides unauthenticated (anonymous) access where everyone accessing to your site is the same person from your site point to view.

Force.com Sites provides seamless integration with Customer and Partner portals for authenticated access where users authenticate themselves and become known portal users (and use portal license) when your flow requires authentication. 

Seems like your flow requires at least the restaurants to authenticate themselves in order to update their specific data which means you would need a portal license for each of these type of users

Customers making reservations, may or may not need to authenticate depending on the flow; if they need to return and check their orders/profile etc then yes if not then no.

Basically in this flow you are the salesforce customer, and you are purchasing all the necessary licenses for your customers. If you go with this flow, the main thing you need to focus is to make sure your have the correct sharing setting in order to prevent restaurants/customers accessing others data. 

This was selected as the best answer
SATable-MarkSATable-Mark

Thank you for your answer. This is already very informative.

Just an additional question: What is the cost of one customer portal license?

As you can imagine if more than 1000 restaurants sign up(each able to edit their data) then the cost will run up quickly to host my website on the force.com platform.

Thank you
Mark

BulentBulent
There are several different options. I would recommend you to talk to a salesrep for pricing.