function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PaulDysonPaulDyson 

How to get feeds working?

I've set up a sample feed using the example in the Introduction to Force.com Sites article. When I click the preview link all I see is a blank area on the preview page and clicking the external URL brings up an 'under construction' page.

Also I don't really understand how the definition field works. Does anyone have an example of an RSS definition? 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

Paul,

syndication feed uses the same public access settings to run the query. Make sure you have the FLS, CRUD, Sharing settings correct for the fields/objects you are running query for.

the other potential issue is that it' easy to leave the customer objects in "development" status, they need to be in "Deployed" status in order your site to access it.

online help details the fields etc.  

Can you also check if the external link and the preview link are correct? if your site has a path the external link needs to include the site path as well. 

All Answers

BulentBulent

Paul,

syndication feed uses the same public access settings to run the query. Make sure you have the FLS, CRUD, Sharing settings correct for the fields/objects you are running query for.

the other potential issue is that it' easy to leave the customer objects in "development" status, they need to be in "Deployed" status in order your site to access it.

online help details the fields etc.  

Can you also check if the external link and the preview link are correct? if your site has a path the external link needs to include the site path as well. 

This was selected as the best answer
PaulDysonPaulDyson

Thanks Bulent. The problem was actually that the link URL on the preview page was being generated incorrectly, presumably because I have the mysite extension. The link from the preview page was

feed://[domain]/mysiteservices/xml/MyFeed

when what it need to be was (note the additional /):

feed://[domain]/mysite/services/xml/MyFeed

This works with my feed reader. 

The preview is still blank but not having seen it working, I'm not sure what it is supposed to show.

BulentBulent

Paul,

seems like the preview link has a bug. We'll fix it.