function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JohannesBorrmanJohannesBorrman 

Customer Portal - free or paid?

Hi all,

i'm confused - my Salesforce accountmanager told me that there is an unlimited number of users who can authenticate on SF-sites. Now the support tells me "no" - to activate a customer portal paid licences are needed. That sounds like each portal user will cause costs. There seems to be no easy to find help on those questions. Even the premiere support seems a bit overstrained by my questions. We run Enterprise Ed.

Regards, Johannes

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Edwin VijayEdwin Vijay

Thanks Johannes for the advice... that sort of made me get started..

Regards,

All Answers

Edwin VijayEdwin Vijay

Hi,

Sites can have any number of users.. and remember sites does not have any authentication.. Anybody can access your site , that's why its called a public site....

But if you still want your site users to be authenticated at some point of time.. then there comes Customer Portal.. you will have to authenticate your site users against customer portal logins....So for every authenticated site user a customer portal license...

Hope this answers you.... Going to my situation now

That sounds too much... I have just a single page which needs authentication and i would not like to buy licenses just for showing my users a single page... Anybody has some suggestions....

JohannesBorrmanJohannesBorrman

Hi Ed,

now theres's light as i did get another answer:

Pricing of licences depends on your contract and in our case on how often these user are logging into the portal.

Currently 1 licence costs 5 € per user per month. When ordering in July there are 50% discount on the regular price.

That will fit for our purposes even though i'm keep thinking of a free solution via webserver and api as our portal will

only serve internal needs (tracking of working time of our employees). Anyway ... But probably that's the solution for your problem - running a perl script on a webserver querying the sf api hidden behind some user auth. on this webserver ... 

Edwin VijayEdwin Vijay

Thanks Johannes for the advice... that sort of made me get started..

Regards,

This was selected as the best answer