function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
matsydoodlesmatsydoodles 

Hover Detail and Feed Item?

Is it possible to post a text feed item with an object attached which has Hover Detail associated with it?

So for example a new feed item is added with some text and then an object, which when the object is hovered over by the user the hover detail page is displayed?

Any help with this would be great!

cloudcodercloudcoder

You would currently have to do this via Apex and Visualforce, but it is certainly possible.

matsydoodlesmatsydoodles

Thank you for the quick reply.

Could possibly give me some more detail please?  am very new to force.com platform and a direction to look towards would be great.

cloudcodercloudcoder

The majority of the work is really going be about jquery or similar to handle to the hovers, and overriding the feed layout (not a simple task btw - be warned). Once you have all of the layout/functions overridden, then you can call a controller method (probably via Javascript) as part of your hover function. This controller method would retrieve whatever data you need. 

Does that get you started in the right direction? It's a broad question to answer as part of a disc. board thread.

matsydoodlesmatsydoodles

It does, thank you.

One more thing though, do you know if there is any documentation on overridng the the feed layout? 

cloudcodercloudcoder

It's a lot of work. I did it some time back for an app called Chatter Bubbles. This was before the Visualforce Chatter components were available. My recommendation, if you really want to do it, is to use the Chatter REST API, and iterate through the results to render your page. 

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Chatter_API