function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
emacadieemacadie 

how do I make my Remote Access app available to our users?

We are working on a business intelligence/customer retention application. We are hoping to integrate our application with Salesforce via the REST API.

If one of our clients has a Salesforce account, we would like to be able to use the REST API to extract some of their data from Salesforce, enter it into our database, and perform analysis on it. We would like to be able to do update the data regularly. We would get a token from the user in order to do this.

I have been able to do this with a dev account. We would like to be able to make the Remote Access app available for other Salesforce users. How would we do this? Would we need a Pro account?

I discussed this with a Salesforce rep on the phone, and he did not seem to understand what I was talking about. He said we would have to build a portal. Perhaps he did not know about the REST API. He said that customers would probably not want to export their info out of Salesforce. I do not think this would be a problem since we could only do it with users' approval.

So how do I make my Remote Access app available to our users?

SuperfellSuperfell

Good new, you have to do nothing, your remote access configuration is automatically shared, the only thing you need to worry about are customers who don't have API access in their org/user configuration.

emacadieemacadie

Thanks for the response.

I am sure this is covered in the docs (which can be a bit overwhelming), but: Why would a user have/not have API access in their org/user configuration? Is it not available in certain types of accounts? Is it something they configure?

SuperfellSuperfell

Certain types of editions don't include API access, in addition, the org administrator can disable API access for some users in their org.