function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
eustachieustachi 

When will REST API for accessing Apex go out of pilot? Any implications for developers?

Hi

I'm working on an application for our company that will rely on this pilot feature:

http://blog.sforce.com/sforce/2011/05/apex-rest-services-in-summer-11.html

I'm just wondering when will this cease to be a pilot, and if there are any implications for deploying an application based on this feature? E.g. it currently only allows for a restricted set of parameters- will this be expanded post-pilot?

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
dkadordkador

<SAFE-HARBOR>

We're not yet sure when it will go out of pilot, but we're hoping in the next release or two.  We are looking at expanding the set of allowed parameter and return types, but no promises.

I don't think we can recommend building out a production system using this feature yet.  We put out pilot features so we can get community feedback - if you have comments, please post them here!

</SAFE-HARBOR>

All Answers

dkadordkador

<SAFE-HARBOR>

We're not yet sure when it will go out of pilot, but we're hoping in the next release or two.  We are looking at expanding the set of allowed parameter and return types, but no promises.

I don't think we can recommend building out a production system using this feature yet.  We put out pilot features so we can get community feedback - if you have comments, please post them here!

</SAFE-HARBOR>

This was selected as the best answer
eustachieustachi

dkador wrote: 

We put out pilot features so we can get community feedback - if you have comments, please post them here!

Well, we really want to use this feature, but if it's not recommended for production systems we'll have to look at an alternative approach. It's going to be hard for us to give further feedback as unfortunately we can't really afford to invest time in it as it currently stands.

dkadordkador

Understandable.  If, somehow, you do get time to look at the feature, please post feedback.  It's invaluable to us.

eustachieustachi

From what I've read of the feature, it looks easy to implement from a user's viewpoint.

The only thing I can offer is our use case:

We want to be able to access Apex code as a REST resource via javascript (probably using jQuery).

From cursory investigation, JSON support doesn't seem to be built in to the API- that would be very useful.

Most of the complexity for us will be figuring out ways to return object tree structures in JSON. Anything that would make this easier would be welcome.

eustachieustachi

I've just been informed by email that the pilot programme is not accepting new participants. Is this correct? If so, I really think this should be made clearer on the page announcing the feature, as it would save people wasting time investigating it in the first place.

dkadordkador

Hmm, that may be true, but as far as I know our plans are to extend the pilot to all developer organizations.  So you should still be able to get access soon.