function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mayank_JoshiMayank_Joshi 

Need to understand business usage of partner portal .

Hi everyone,

I understand the usage and setup  of self service portal (Free) , customer portal (Paid ) service . 

But , what is usage of partner portal ?

>> Is it something ,through which we can related two orgs ?

>> Or we are becoming partners with salesforce.com for sharing records .

I am sorry , but I am unable to find any direct information related to it . But , please explain me the business usage (on why I should go for partner portal setup rather than customer portal? ) 

Many Thanks ,

Mayank Joshi

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

The Partner Portal is used to allow access to external organizations to your salesforce.com database, typically for leads and opportunities. Think of it as a Customer Portal for use by external organizations (such as marketing organizations, vendors, third-party warehouse and shipping employees, etc). It does not relate two organizations together (that would be Salesforce to Salesforce), nor are you becoming "salesforce.com partners", either. It's used for your partners to access data that your organization allows access to. From a business perspective, it's far less expensive to grant them portal licenses than to create full-blown salesforce.com-licensed users.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

The Partner Portal is used to allow access to external organizations to your salesforce.com database, typically for leads and opportunities. Think of it as a Customer Portal for use by external organizations (such as marketing organizations, vendors, third-party warehouse and shipping employees, etc). It does not relate two organizations together (that would be Salesforce to Salesforce), nor are you becoming "salesforce.com partners", either. It's used for your partners to access data that your organization allows access to. From a business perspective, it's far less expensive to grant them portal licenses than to create full-blown salesforce.com-licensed users.

This was selected as the best answer
Mayank_JoshiMayank_Joshi

Thank you .

sfdcfox wrote: