function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JennMJennM 

Newbie question: editing objects with Sites

I am trying to find out whether I can build a Site that can search, edit and insert Contact records.  I have seen conflicting information about this so am hoping to get a definitive answer so I know whether this is an option to pursue or not for an issue my client has.  Thanks for any advice!

Jenn

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent
You would need Partner Portal licenses for to manage contacts (read/create/update/delete) 

All Answers

BulentBulent

Sites allows you create and read standard objects (except products, pricebooks, and ideas: read only)

and full access for custom objects.

Sites is all about anonymous access. When you need authentication you can use sites-portals integration which then each authenticated user will have their own profile and different level access based on the portal licenses 

JennMJennM

Thanks Bulent.

I was told that using a Customer Portal with a Site, the user could not see other Contact records because they don't own them.  Do you know if that is true?  I was also told that you cannot create Contact records with Sites, but I guess you are saying that you can?

What I want to do is create a Site that volunteers that man a hotline for a nonprofit client of mine will use to first search for the hotline caller's name (in Salesforce Contacts), if they aren't found then add a new Contact record and additional custom object data. If they find the caller's name, then ideally they would be able to update their information if necessary (address, telephone) and then create the new custom object data.  Does this sound like it can be done with Sites?

JennM

BulentBulent
You would need Partner Portal licenses for to manage contacts (read/create/update/delete) 
This was selected as the best answer