function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SBKSBK 

Access to User object in a Custom Controller

I am new to this environment.

I am developing a Site and have enabled user registration and authentication for a user.

I have to develop a controller with some of my custom objects I have created for the site. I need

access to the User object (not the standard 'Account' object). I am not sure if I should develop

a custom controller or extend a standard controller to get the user attributes.

In any case how can I access the User object for the site  in my controller?

Thanks, 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RyanGuestRyanGuest

I think what you're asking is:

"If I use a custom controller for my Visualforce page, can I make my visualforce page only accessible to portal users and not anonymous Sites users?"

The answer is yes, what you need to do is make sure that the Visualforce  page is NOT enabled for the Site and that it is enabled for the portal profile.

All Answers

SBKSBK

I got the answer for my first question - "UserInfo".

So my question now is should I implement a custom controller or extend a standard controller?

If I develop a custom controller will I still get the benefits like authentication etc in my custom

controller?

Thanks. 

RyanGuestRyanGuest

I think what you're asking is:

"If I use a custom controller for my Visualforce page, can I make my visualforce page only accessible to portal users and not anonymous Sites users?"

The answer is yes, what you need to do is make sure that the Visualforce  page is NOT enabled for the Site and that it is enabled for the portal profile.

This was selected as the best answer
SBKSBK

Thanks Ryan, I have a related question as I am unable to view a custom object on a visualforce page rendered

by a custom controller.

I made sure the visualforce page (say MyPage) is no longer  enabled for the site. 

When I went to edit the profile (Customer Portal Manager), in the "Custom Object Permissions" tab my custom object shows up but is not editable for "Basic Access". In short how do I enable my custom objects and pages for my site

profile (Customer Portal Manager). Any help or links in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks

SBKSBK

Looks like you have to clone it and then make the changes.

I might have answered my own question. 

RyanGuestRyanGuest

Yes, you stumbled upon one of the many nuances of Salesforce. The standard profiles aren't very customizable, you have to clone them if you want full customization.

Message Edited by RyanGuest on 02-20-2010 12:54 PM