function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nimbusprojectnimbusproject 

Self Registration default profile

I have setup my first "Site" in the development environment, and I want to give end users the ability to run some of the functionality I have created in my Salesforce.com environment which will eventually become an APP.

As such I want to get some feedback by exposing this functionality to the world via my "Site". 

I want to create a profile that gives access to my custom objects, classes, etc.

I followed this tutorial. (Authenticating Users on Salesforce Sites)

However, I am still a bit fuzzy on the logic behind taking the "Portal Account", and the "Customer Portal Manager" profile (which is the default profile a user is given when they create an account). I cannot edit the "Customer Portal Manager" profile to allow access to my custom object.

I have tried to create a new profile (which I can give users access to my custom objects in the settings, but I don't understand the following):

1. What is the meaning of "License" as it pertains to profile, and does this have any bearing on how I should setup permissions.

2. When I user is "Authenticated" or "Registers" how do I default their registration to my newly created profile.

3. If a user is "un-registered" or "un-authenticated" and I still want them to be able to see some pages what permissions should I give those pages. 

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent
You need to clone the default portal profile in order to modify it. Also you need to enable your custom objects for Portals (by drilling down to the object definition and checking the "enable for Portal" check box), then custom objects would show up as editable on your new cloned portal profile. After you are done configuring your portal profile, you need to enable this new profile for your portal (on the portal setup page, via the enabled profiles related list)

All Answers

I have re-read the authentication tutorial a bit, and understand better that I am setting up a new user with a "Customer Portal Manager" license and profile.

Reading my "Self-Registration Settings" (Setup|Customize|Customer Portal|Settings)

I discover that cannot change my Default New User Profile to anything but 'Customer Portal Manager'

Because I cannot give permission to use my customer objects to the 'Customer Portal Manager' profile (Setup|Manage Users|Profile) I am not sure how to allow users to manipulate instances of custom objects beyond just reading the standard objects given by default in this profile)

BulentBulent
You need to clone the default portal profile in order to modify it. Also you need to enable your custom objects for Portals (by drilling down to the object definition and checking the "enable for Portal" check box), then custom objects would show up as editable on your new cloned portal profile. After you are done configuring your portal profile, you need to enable this new profile for your portal (on the portal setup page, via the enabled profiles related list)
This was selected as the best answer

Bulent wrote:

Thanks Bulent. This worked.

Also, I still need to enable "Accounts" and some other Standard tabs for this user profile. Right now I'm limited to: "Case, Solutions, Reports..." etc.

Thanks again.

Nikola NaumovskiNikola Naumovski

I hade the same issue but for the community setup. I know that this topic is quite old and is referring to Portal, so I will update it with the solution for the Community approach.

Community setup -> Administration -> Members -> Add the community profile you want to use for self-registered users

In order to assign default profile later for the self-registered user sin Administration -> Login & Registration section.

Peter Larson 11Peter Larson 11
Nikola, I have been taking the same steps you described and have a custom profile that I added in the "Members" section of Administration.  However, I still do not see the profile available to assign as a default for self-registration.  Are you aware of a setting that is needed on the profile to allow it to become available?