function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hamayoun65hamayoun65 

Publisher actions on home page layout

Hi

I've just been watching the Summer 13 webinar, and was interested in the new Publisher Action functionality.  Now according to the release notes:

Global create actions let users create object records, but there’s no automatic relationship between the record that’s created and any other record. You can add global actions to page layouts for the home page, the Chatter tab, and object detail pages.

And it also says:

The page layout editor has a new Actions category in the palette and a new Chatter Feed section on the layout. You can use
the page layout editor to customize the actions in the publisher for each object type and page layout. You can drag actions
from the palette to the Chatter Feed section of the page layout and order them as you wish.

I want to add a Create Account action on the home page layout, but can't figure out where the page layout for the home page is.  It sounds from the release notes that there is a way to do this.  Any thoughts out there?

Thx,

Hamayoun

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jody_blyjody_bly

In the Release Notes, check out the section, "Setting Up Publisher Actions."

First you have to enable publisher actions for your org (steps are provided). 

The Account object has feed tracking enabled by default, so you don't have to enable it.

Then create a global action using the path provided.

After you create the global action, follow these steps to add it to create a global publisher layout, add the global action to it, and assign it to user profiles:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=working_with_global_publisher_layouts.htm&language=en_US

Now you should be able to see the publisher with the new action on the Home page.  

All Answers

jody_blyjody_bly

In the Release Notes, check out the section, "Setting Up Publisher Actions."

First you have to enable publisher actions for your org (steps are provided). 

The Account object has feed tracking enabled by default, so you don't have to enable it.

Then create a global action using the path provided.

After you create the global action, follow these steps to add it to create a global publisher layout, add the global action to it, and assign it to user profiles:

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=working_with_global_publisher_layouts.htm&language=en_US

Now you should be able to see the publisher with the new action on the Home page.  

This was selected as the best answer
hamayoun65hamayoun65

Thanks for the reply Jody.  The one thing which seems a  bit odd is that when I try and create a Global Action to create a record, it does not allow you to select the Account object.  I was thinking of an action to create a new Account on the global publisher layout.  Any ideas why this is happening?  Doesn't really make sense not to have it there.

jody_blyjody_bly

Hmmm. I see Actions in the Target Object drop-down list on the Global Actions: New Action page. 

AFAIK, Feed Tracking must be enabled on an object to create a record using a Global Action. Feed tracking is enabled on the Account object by default, but maybe you should check whether it's enabled:

http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=collab_feed_tracking.htm&language=en_US

hamayoun65hamayoun65

My bad... we had person accounts enabled on the org, and Account was being displayed as Business Account and Person Account.  Thanks again!

jody_blyjody_bly
:)