function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
icemft1976icemft1976 

Best Practices: architecture for serving up a catalog of items

Hi,

we're testing out Sites and want to provide a catalog of 'success stories'  where each 'story' consist of 4 parts

1) Title

2) Description

3) PDF for download

4) an associated image

Static resources will not provide what we need, CRM Content does (but the Sites Guest User can't be given a Content License)  - so how are people addressing this?

I thought about a custom object but there isn't a 'lookup field' so I can link the story to an image file. Looking at the catalogs on other Sites, they all seem to serve image files using "force.om/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=XXXX"  -

Does this mean that people are creatng custom objects and then using attachments to provide related docs/images ? I assume I'd just write controller logic to find attachments for a given record and then display them with standard visualforce components [i.e. apex:image, etc]

example: the cookbook http://thecookbook-developer-edition.na6.force.com/Home

thanks for any ideas you might have!

AJ

RyanGuestRyanGuest

If you can't use static resources (because your content isn't static), then I'd go with using attachments using the approach you mentioned.

icemft1976icemft1976

Thanks Ryan, it actually turned out to be a good solution. The coding was pretty simple and it saves trying to invent naming conventions in order to easily retrieve related files.