function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
flewellsflewells 

Siteforce and Sites

Is Siteforce replacing Sites?  Or is Sites seen as a component of Siteforce?  

I noticed that I am automatically redirected to http://www.force.com/products/siteforce when I enter http://www.force.com/sites.

Is there a datasheet available that helps me understand when Sites vs Sitesforce is the appropriate solution? 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jason_GJason_G

Force.com Sites gave the ability to create public-facing web pages using Visualforce. That's not going away.  But "Sites" wasn't a CMS.  So Siteforce can be viewed as complementary, and i could imagine that some folks will create hybrid sites combining CMS-designed pages with Visualforce-scripted pages.

There isn't a datasheet available, but it's usually easy to pick the right technology for a use case.  Siteforce is a CMS for managing content and design on pages without needing code.  So Siteforce is the right choice for almost all marketing sites.  Force.com Sites is still a handy way to expose data on a public-facing web page...but it doesn't give agility to web marketers.

All Answers

Jason_GJason_G

Force.com Sites gave the ability to create public-facing web pages using Visualforce. That's not going away.  But "Sites" wasn't a CMS.  So Siteforce can be viewed as complementary, and i could imagine that some folks will create hybrid sites combining CMS-designed pages with Visualforce-scripted pages.

There isn't a datasheet available, but it's usually easy to pick the right technology for a use case.  Siteforce is a CMS for managing content and design on pages without needing code.  So Siteforce is the right choice for almost all marketing sites.  Force.com Sites is still a handy way to expose data on a public-facing web page...but it doesn't give agility to web marketers.

This was selected as the best answer
Scott.MScott.M

I would add that there are Partner solutions that provide CMS capabilites for Sites that use visualforce and give non technical users the ability to manage their Sites without developer support. It's worth looking at what their offering before making any decisions. 

flewellsflewells

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  Could make Sites a bit more attractive.

Amar cAmar c

its really nice to concept CMS + CRM togeather Now with Salesforce :)