function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ivanoharrisivanoharris 

Salesforce1 - No structured Nav menu, lack of traditional Apps organization

As a company with over 100 tabs in total we use the traditional concept of "Apps" extensively to control the list of tabs by business process and application.  Am I missing something, or is the Salesforce1 product currently lacking the same basic kind of strcuture functionality.  How do I create a structured Nav menu in Salesforce1?  

Recent tabs is not a solution to my needs, and the Mobile Navigation customization is not designed to easily support basic tabs and is only globally customizable.

I don't get it, what's the thought process Salesforce?

Ivano

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SamReadySamReady

Another alternative would be creating a Flexible Page and adding it to the mobile navigation. You could create scoped list views for various objects for quick easy access (similar to tab sets) but it would inherently have the same stylesheet as Salesforce1 no extra CSS required. 

Flexible Pages are outlined in the Salesforce1 App Developer Guide in the admin section, and are going to get a lot of additions in the upcoming releases. Currently you need to deploy them through workbench to get the pages into your org, but once they are in your org you can create tabs out of them that can be added to your mobile navigation. Eventually flexible pages will be modifiable declaratively, and since it is built using aura components rather than the typical VF page/Apex controller paradigm it doesn't have viewstate and is optimal for mobile responsiveness. Check it out!

All Answers

SamReadySamReady

Thanks for the note. Currently, the "Recent Items" tab uses smart scoping. This means whatever types of records the mobile user searches for the most using the global search in the app will show up at the top of this list. This is ideal for a company with many tabs since groups of users probably live on very different sets of tabs than others.

Being that this is a V1 of the release, we haven't fully released all of the features we started to build. We're working on tab sets which will be released soon to be able to more granularly control what tabs are easily accessible from the Salesforce1 app. 

Hope this helps!

ivanoharrisivanoharris

Samantha,

thanks for the response I'm glad to hear you're working on giving us a more structured navigation experience that works for more complex organizations.  Wouldn't it be easier though to just support the current "app" structure than to try and reinvent it?  Why create a separate mobile only method of doing the same thing?

Thanks.

Ivano

SamReadySamReady

Being that the app was built API first to expose the necessary components for programmatic customization as well as declarative development, some features didn't make the first cut. We are not trying to reinvent in anyway, but moreso trying to integrate the app into our pre-existing way of doing things. We want the app to be flexible, and some pieces didn't get finished prior to the reveal at DF, but there will be a lot of additions to Salesforce1 app in the upcoming releases.

ivanoharrisivanoharris

Thanks again for the update Samantha.  Nothing would make us happier than to see Salesforce finally stick with a single mobile app platform and rally some continual resources behind it.  We've burned in the past by the likes of Mobile, Touch, Forcepad, etc but I'm hopeful with Salesforce1.

SamReadySamReady

Thanks for voicing your concerns, and I totally understand where you are coming from with those frustrations. I have confidence in Salesforce1 app over the past apps you've listed because none of them had the flexibiliy and customization possibilities that Salesforce1 currently has and will continue to expand on.

If you have any other app building, roadmap, or technical questions about Salesforce1, lookout for an upcoming code talk I'll be hosting with the PM and lead dev of Salesforce1 where we'll have an open/live Q&A Google hangout with anyone interested in the dev community! Thanks again for your questions.

jucuzoglujucuzoglu

I agree, it is a bit frustrating not being able to control which tabs show up. Perhaps (definitely not an ideal solution) for the short term to pilot things you could create a VisualForce page to serve as navigation to access the tabs you need. I am in the same boat in that I want to give access to specific objects/tabs.

I am excited to hear this is on the short term radar for inclusion and I also believe that the Salesforce1 platform will be the mobile platform that sticks for no other reason than its the first platform that seems to do a pretty good job at letting users create mobile experiences via the declarative.

SamReadySamReady

Another alternative would be creating a Flexible Page and adding it to the mobile navigation. You could create scoped list views for various objects for quick easy access (similar to tab sets) but it would inherently have the same stylesheet as Salesforce1 no extra CSS required. 

Flexible Pages are outlined in the Salesforce1 App Developer Guide in the admin section, and are going to get a lot of additions in the upcoming releases. Currently you need to deploy them through workbench to get the pages into your org, but once they are in your org you can create tabs out of them that can be added to your mobile navigation. Eventually flexible pages will be modifiable declaratively, and since it is built using aura components rather than the typical VF page/Apex controller paradigm it doesn't have viewstate and is optimal for mobile responsiveness. Check it out!

This was selected as the best answer
Gaurav KheterpalGaurav Kheterpal

Marking this thread as 'Resolved', if you have any further questions related to this topic, please create a new post.

Thanks!
Gaurav

SamReadySamReady
Thanks Guarav!