function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Evan DonovanEvan Donovan 

Can Flow be used in situations where workflow/approval process would otherwise be used? If so, how?

At my organization we have two internship programs – TechMission Corps (www.techmissioncorps.org) & City Vision College (our online college (http://www.cityvision.edu/cms/cv/urban-ministry-internship) - both of which we have FormAssembly forms that are currently bringing data in Salesforce. (FormAssembly being a third-party form building app that can be used to create what are essentially more sophisticated web-to-lead forms).

Once in Salesforce, an inquiry form submission becomes a Lead; then workflow sends out an email to the person and they get a link to an application form. After they fill that out, their Lead Status is changed and then we evaluate whether we are going to convert them to a Contact. Once they are a Contact, though, they are still not actually matched with an organization; we still have to interview them, and then an Organization has to state they will accept them as an intern.

For now I've been using a manually updated field (Contact Status) to track people's progress through the process once they become Contacts. Now that Flow is generally available though, I'm wondering if that might be a better solution, but I can't find too much documentation, at least not for a use case like mine.

I'm wondering the following:

1) Should I use an approval process to track their status once they become Contacts?

2) Can I use Salesforce’s Flow feature for any of the following use cases:

i.      Providing user-facing forms for the application process

ii.      Conducting screening calls & recording the information

iii.      Tracking people’s progress through a process over time (i.e., like an approval process)

3) If so, is there any good documentation/best practices on its use? I have had trouble finding out much helpful information on Salesforce’s help or website.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.