function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
digamber.prasaddigamber.prasad 

SystemModStamp update of Topic records

We have number of Topic records in one of org created in span of last 2 months. However, we have noticed that if we assign a topic to some FeedItem, it causes SystemModStamp field of all Topic records of org get updated with current datetime value. Our assumption is that, SystemModStamp of only assigned Topic record should be updated.

Looks like bug. Any fix?

Your reply appreciated!

Best Answer chosen by digamber.prasad
We had opened a case with salesforce for this, and got confirmation that this is bug with salesforce. They have found a solution to this, which they will release in upcoming release. No final date from salesforce on this though.

Regards,
Digamber Prasad

All Answers

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up - yes I have noticed the same thorugh workbench on my test ORG - let me check this with my internal team and i will update you.

Hi Sonam,

Thanks for your reply!

We have opened a case with salesforce support team too, but couldn't get any satisfactory answer.

Appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Digamber Prasad

Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi Digambar,

I might have missunderstood the issue a bit - today when I try to reproduce the issue I am not able to:

Following is what i am doing:

1)Create a topic

2)Associate it will multiple threads - all these threads have different SystemModStamp value depending on when I associated the topic to the thread.

3)After some time  -  I pull up on more thread and add the same topic to it

4)Check workbench and see only this one thread SystemModStamp  gets updated and not all the others associated to the same topic.

Please confirm I am testing this correctly.. 

Hi Sonam,

Actually what you are doing is not the issue. Issue is with SystemModStamp of Topic records, not the threads where it is associated. 

Issue is when we assign a topic to a thread, SystemModStamp field of all Topics records in org get updated with current time. Which essentially wrong.

Possible steps to reproduce issue:-

1. Go to workbench and run query - SELECT CreatedDate,Id,Name,SystemModstamp FROM Topic. And make sure that SystemModStamp field have values other than current datetime.

2. Go back to chatter and create a Feed.

3. Either create a new Topic or assign existing one to this FeedItem record.

4. After 1-2 minutes, go back to workbench and run the query in step#1 and you will see that SystemModStamp of all Topic records get updated with current datetime.

Hope above steps will help you get to the root of problem. Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Digamber Prasad

Hi Sonam,

Any update on this?

Regards,

Digamber Prasad

gburton_sfdcgburton_sfdc

Hi Digamber,

Thanks for raising this issue and providing the detailed steps to reproduce.

It's pretty interesting that you say "After 1-2 minutes…". I think what is probably happening is that the system re-calculates the TalkingAbout field value every hour and when this field gets updated this updates the SystemModstamp. Perhaps you performed the repro steps just before this schedule update of the TalkingAbout field ran?

May I ask if this behaviour is impacting something you are trying to do or whether it was just something you noticed and were curious about?

Please could you provide details of the case you opened since we may wish to follow up on the case.

Regards,

Glyn Burton

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

You are saying only once in 1 hr system. try re-calculates the TalkingAbout field, however in my unit testing I was able to replicate it after every 1-2 minute. May be my unit testing was not efficient.

We have a solution where after every certain period of time say 5 min., we pick newly inserted/updated Topic records in last 5 min and do some processing on it. Now, because everytime my above query returns all of Topic records, my business objective is not full filled.

I have opened a case with salesforce and case number is "09887979", they have already escalated it to Tier2 guys.

Lets keep this conversation going on!

Regards,

Digamber Prasad

gburton_sfdcgburton_sfdc

Hi,

What you describe does not quite match expected behaviour with the system updating the TalkingAbout field every hour. Although I think this behaviour is going to give you exactly the same problem, just a little less frequently?

I think it would be good to isolate the cause of the behaviour you are actually seeing.

I don't suppose the process you have running every 5 mins could be changing the topics rows which results in the SystemModstamp getting updated? Just want to eliminate that possibility from the enquiry.

I am not aware of anything else built into to core system which would account for what you are seeing. I've tested and I only see the hourly updates as I decribed.

I guess we will probably need to dig deeper to pin down the cause. I'll wait to hear your answer to my question above first though.

Regards,

Glyn Burton

Hi,

There seems some miss-communication, my process which runs every 5 min. doesn't change the topic record, it just query topic records. So, the scenario is like, if I already have 1000 topics in my org which say was created/updated last time say 1 week ago, and now say I have created a new topic, the next time my process will run to query topic records created/updated in last 5 min, this time query will return 1000 records + 1 new topic. I run the query and I can see SYSTEMMODSTAMP of all records (1000 older + 1 new) has updated.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate it more.

Regards,

Digamber Prasad

We had opened a case with salesforce for this, and got confirmation that this is bug with salesforce. They have found a solution to this, which they will release in upcoming release. No final date from salesforce on this though.

Regards,
Digamber Prasad
This was selected as the best answer