function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jordanmjordanm 

Required drop down lists

Hello, Presently, in cloud flows, the only object that can display dynamic choices while truly being "required" and making the user make a conscious input decision is the radio button list. Drowndown lists can be "required" but they default to the first dynamic choice, so they don't start out empty and require a user to actually select a value. Is there any way to achieve the same functionality with dropdown lists? I don't particularly like radiobutton lists with 20+ choices taking up a sizable portion of the flow container.
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
RKDTRKDT

When you have a Dynamic choice you can also have a normal choice with it. So you have the dynamic choice and the normal choice in one picklist with the normal choice as the default.

As for the validation rule issue. I did not realize you could not make one on picklists. Thanks for the info. Another work around (you might not like) is to have a desicion rule follow that page that saya if blank go to a page that has a display text that tells them to select a value then loops back to the first page, or the desicion just sends them straight back to the first page.

All Answers

RKDTRKDT

You could make the default option "-" or "Blank" or something and have a validation rule that says if blank show error message "must select a value". Just a thought.

jordanmjordanm

Thanks for the feedback, two things:

You can't set a default option in a dynamically populated dropdown, also how there is no way to set validation on a dropdown list in a flow, so I'd have to do it on the object level, which means the flow would have to progress to the point of actual error in order for me to redirect the user back to the step in the flow where an error occurred--very clunky.

RKDTRKDT

When you have a Dynamic choice you can also have a normal choice with it. So you have the dynamic choice and the normal choice in one picklist with the normal choice as the default.

As for the validation rule issue. I did not realize you could not make one on picklists. Thanks for the info. Another work around (you might not like) is to have a desicion rule follow that page that saya if blank go to a page that has a display text that tells them to select a value then loops back to the first page, or the desicion just sends them straight back to the first page.

This was selected as the best answer
jordanmjordanm

The normal choice could work however, again, you'd have to trigger the object level validation rule via a DML action to get the validation error message to appear, and if you have an object with many, many required fields this would be a pretty much unacceptable workaround.

The decision routing workaround non-ideal but viable. This means I won't be forced to use radiolists for certain choices, at least.

Good catch.

sidpatsidpat

Hi All,

I am new to cloud flow designer. Actually we have on requirement for call center application to write call scripts in sfdc. I started working on it. I need to make use of dynamic choice in the flow and when i select dropdownlist the list should show all the values in the field in the coustom object. Is it possible by making use of dynamic choice or do we have any other option. At present, I created several choices and displayed it in the drowpdownlist. I am wonder if i can make use of dynamic choice here.