function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KC0798KC0798 

Last activity for opportunity

Hi,

I have been trying to solve this problem for a while, wondering if anyone can help me with this?

I have to put in a field in the opportunity screen that reflects the number of days since any activity was done for the opportunity.
Any activity done meaning the last modified date of the last activity associated to the opportunity. This can either be a task or an event. The idea is to check how long ago the activity was updated or created for this opportunity.

The tricky bit is that this is for the Group Edition and therefore no Apex or Ajax I believe?

I'm a newbie and have been trying this out but no luck?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

KC
TCAdminTCAdmin
Hello KC0798,

Unfortunately there isn't any way to do what you are looking for within Group or Professional Editions.
KC0798KC0798
Thanks Chris, that was what I was afraid of. But at least someone has confirmed it.

Cheers,
KC
CrmzepherCrmzepher

Hello,

Sometimes to overcome the edition limitations it is best to take a more practical approach. You are interested in knowing when was the last time there was an Activity in the way of a Task or an Event on the Opportunity so why don´t you ask the user. Many times prompting a user to do a key action is the best way to get the reporting / tracking that you need as well as educate the user that the time that has gone by since this Opp was last modified is important.

A very basic approach would be to create a custom field called "Last time Modified" and prompt the user to fill it in whenever they modify the Opp. You could do this via validation rules. This would work well if the user always had to change / update something on the Opp. However it wouldn´t be fool proof.

Another way is to create a new Custom Button for Tasks and Events that prompts the user to fill in the custom field "Last time Modified" before they arrive to the Task or Event screen. This can be done with simple Javascript validation and window.open commands to create the new Task window.

Another way is to use the Last Modified and / or Last Activity fields that a standard on any Salesforce object. You could create a custom fomula field that counts the days that have gone by from today´s date and the last modified / last activity value.

Of course you could create a report as well that tracked this information if you wanted to look across many Opps.

These are just some ideas. Let me know if you would like to discuss them in greater detail. Good luck!

crmzepher

KC0798KC0798
Hi crmzepher,

I have in fact created two custom fields using the Last Modified and Last Activity date. The last modified works well, but the last activity date actually captures the due date rather than the last modified date of only open activities so that does not really reflect what I wanted to achieve.

But I must say I really like the custom button suggestion, think its a brilliant work-around!

Thanks for your valueable insight!