function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
smagee13smagee13 

Hidden Fields on Lead and Contact

Hello all,

Im looking for the source of what appear to be standard fields on the Lead and Contact objects, they are:

EmailBounceDate

EmailBounceReason

THey do not appear in the filed list for either object, but are viable to the APEX Data Loader.  The dates in these files are oddly formatted and are causing me some problems when trying to load my data in a SQL server for further analysis.

Anybody have any idea where these fields are located and what populates them?

Thanks
Scott

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

They are related to Email Bounce Management (in the Setup > Email Management section). When enabled, salesforce.com uses a special "return-path" that will trigger code within salesforce.com that will update contacts and leads in the database that bounce with the date and the reason for the bounce. For example, if an email is sent through salesforce.com to a contact, and that contact's email address does not exist, then these fields will be populated. Additionally, an alert will appear next to the email address so that the user knows the email bounced and offers an opportunity to update the email address. You can't update these fields manually, as they are managed by the system's bounced email code.

ministe_2003ministe_2003

In response to this, does anyone know if these fields fire workflows?  I had set up a workflow with a field update which set Email Opt Out to true if EmailBounceDate changed.  I can see that it has changed, but the workflow mustn't fire because the field never gets updated.  The workflow is active and error free, it just seems that the EmailBounceDate field update doesn't fire workflows.

I also created a trigger to run before update, but it seems this was never fired either.  So it looks like updating these fields does not cause a trigger or workflow to run. Dang

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

No, the email bounce system bypasses the record update engine entirely; it does not update any audit fields (e.g. last modified), does not fire any triggers, and does not send any emails or evaluate workflow rules. These are one of the few updates that occur in the system "off the grid." You won't be able to detect this event in realtime, so you'd probably just want to schedule a daily report to be emailed or something similar.

ministe_2003ministe_2003

Thanks.

On a related note, I see you can send 500 emails to "external" users but an unlimited number to "internal" users.  What's the definition of internal?  Does it mean Leads and Contacts?

If I set up a scheduled batch, would it be able to loop over, say, a few thousand leads and contacts and mass email them, so long as the "scope" parameter on the executeBatch call in the Schedulable class is no more than 200, and so long as there's no more than 250 recipients of each mass email?

Also, you can track HTML emails, but does that include email templates created as "Custom" template types, since that includes a HTML and a text version?  Or just those templates explicitly created as HTML types?

Thanks again

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

External means anyone not using a Salesforce user license (including leads and contacts). Internal are users with a license.

You can't mass email more than the daily prescribed limit using salesforce.com, so you might need a third-party email blaster, such as Got! Marketing, VerticalResponse, or another provider (note: names provided are not meant to suggest endorsement).

You can request a temporary increase in the limit with a valid business reason, but not indefinitely and not to an unlimited number of recipients-- contact Support for assistance.

Any HTML email that generates a Task is eligible for tracking, so long as it is HTML or Custom, including Visualforce emails that have an HTML component. Notably, Workflow-generated emails won't have tracking enabled, but Apex Code emails will.