function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
djbELLdjbELL 

Apparent Bug in Salesforce

I had created a work flow where I had  Patient Name, First Name, and Last Name field of a custom object. The patient name field is the required name field for the object and I had set it to auto number.  My workflow took the two other fields (first name and last name) and set the the patient name to Last Name, First Name.  This all worked perfectly until the latest summer '07 release where the work flow stopped working.  Salesforce tells me I had found my way around a bug and now that the bug is fixed I will not be able to write to an auto numbered field.

Does anyone have any suggstions? 

Thanks
jf317820jf317820
you could change your Patient Name field to a text field rather than auto number, then write up a custom scontrol with a form that would populate the Patient's full name based on the user inputting the patient's first and last name.  Then override the new button to direct the user to the custom form.

djbELLdjbELL

thanks for the suggestion.   An s-control would not work because  the the sequence of when the s-control  fires still does not allow me to save the record w/o putting some value in the required field "patient name".  The great thing about the auto number was that it fired first, then the workflow so my users only needed to put first and last save the record and then you would get the Full name after the workflow fired. 

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious
I'll assume you're entering a new patient on your custom object via the "New" button?

Override the "New" button, or create a custom link which pre-populates the Patient Name with some value, say "New Patient".

Your workflow field update should kick in after the patient info is saved.

Message Edited by CaptainObvious on 07-27-2007 12:02 PM

Walter MWalter M
djbELL: Is CaptainObvious's suggestion a workable solution for you?  Although the Name field will still be displayed on the edit page, it will be filled in with a default value that the user won't have to modify.
djbELLdjbELL
Thanks.  I can't believe I completely over looked this option.  I actually  already have a custum button created in another object that is related to the "patient" record called "create new patient"  this button already auto-populates other fields in the patient record so yes, Captin Curious' suggestion is the obvious solution.  When my users click the "create new patient" button I have the Patient name field auto-populated with the current date. They enter first and last  names in the appropriate fields, hit save and the workflow kicks in.  Works like a charm.   I obiviously had a case of tunnel vision.
Thanks Captin Curious
djbELLdjbELL
Very sorry.

Thanks CaptinObvious