function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mpcleavermpcleaver 

Help needed with security model

Hi Everyone - 

We are working on implementing Salesforce.com and seem to have run into a possible limitation with security....not sure if we are missing something simple here, or if anyone else has run into something similar.

We have Accounts that are associated to different Markets (that span the country) and Regions of the country.  Our selling model is two-dimensional in that we have Sales Reps that cover specific Markets and Sales Reps that cover specific geographies.  

Essentially....it creates a matrix.

For example, 

We have a Rep that covers Market A for the entire US and a rep that covers all of the Markets in the West.  Both reps need to have Full Read/Write access to the accounts for Market A in the West -- including all related data.  There is a possibility that we may need to share the records with other reps, as well.

For the most part, we will cover this using Territory Management and Sharing rules.  We are using record types (based on Market) and page layouts (1-to-1 for each Market), and each record has a picklist for the Market and assigned region.

The problem that we are running into is that we would like the ability to expose a few fields for all of the Accounts in our org to every user, and the Territory management would give access to all of the fields to the rep for the Market and the rep for the Region.  

Does anyone have any ideas on how we may expose just a few fields from Accounts to everyone without limiting their future ability to see all of the information if a record is shared?

Thanks!

bjohnston73bjohnston73

Would a permission set work?   I'm struggling with the security model as well - it's very unique from anything I've ever seen before....

280z280z

From all the talks I've had with various Salesforce consultants is that they have yet to see an implementation truly need Territory Management.  They've done lots of work where companies have decided to back out of Territory Management and it's a huge amount of work.  I was seriously considering TM, until I found out that it wouldn't even address one of the major issues I was having with how we assign Leads and Accounts.

We too have Sales reps who cover multiple types of areas but we've broken it down to Zip Code.  It's still a pain whenever they need to reassign zip codes.

venkat-Dvenkat-D

Here is my thought.

1) Create a sharing rule which will allow the users except your salesreps to see all the accounts

2) Create a new Pagelayout with only the fields that shoule be visible to everyone

3) In Page layout assignment assign this new page layout to users other than sales reps

4) For salesreps make these fields as Read only in existing page layouts.