function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MillbotMillbot 

CMSForce Web Form Field - Cannot Exceed 255 Characters Error

I am using CMSForce to build a Web Form in a Force.com site. The problem I am running across is that I am utilizing the Opportunity object and a custom field I have created in there that is a a Long Text Area (32000). When I use that field in my Web Form I get an error when I put too many characters in, that the field cannot exceed 255 characters. Is this a default form setting I am missing somewhere because obviously the field can hold way more characters than that?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
David VPDavid VP

Hi,

CMSForce Web forms support Text Area's but unfortunately not Long Text Area's.

All Answers

David VPDavid VP

Hi,

CMSForce Web forms support Text Area's but unfortunately not Long Text Area's.

This was selected as the best answer
MillbotMillbot

Thanks - any idea on the best way to then have a form field that a user can enter in a large amount of text data using CMSForce forms?

David VPDavid VP

In that case I would just write a VisualForce page to take care of that.

You probably already have the layout done in your CSMForce templates. Just copy those and replace the <c:contenblock/> tags with <apex:form> <apex:inputField value!"..."/>  etc ...

tatarkatatarka

David,

I understand that it is limited to 255 characters. Is there a way to prevent user from typing more than 255? When in IE - the field does not stop when the limit has been reached, using Chrome it stops on the last allowed digit.

It is very frustrating for a user to try to measure the size of the text they are trying to enter. What can be done to get the same behavior in IE as in Chrome?

Appreciate your input.

David VPDavid VP

The only thing I can think of is adding some hardcoded Javascript in your template that adds an onkeydown event listener to the field. A bit ugly and if you've got those skills, then you probably don't need CMSForce's Web Forms anyway ...

tatarkatatarka

David, thank you for your response, we did exactly that - javascript &colon;)