function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
michael_mcmahonmichael_mcmahon 

Store Multiple Values for one Field

I want to be able to store and access multiple values for the same Custom Field, for example, Competitors as a field on Accounts.  I'm running out of tabs, so don't want to create a new custom object just for this.

Currently I have created multiple fields, Competitor 1, Competitor 2, Competitor 3, etc...

Is there a better way to do this? Could/should all the competitor values be stored in the same field, and parsed when called?  (Not that I would know how to do that, but if pointed in the right direction I'll figure it out.)

Thank you,

Michael

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
IspitaIspita

If you want to store multiple values .. ideally it should be master-detail custom child object, but in case you insist storing multiple values in a field then :-

1. If values are predefined and fixed ( or dont change regularly) use multipicklist

2. If the values are not fixed and can be anything use text area in conjunction with a separator say semicolon- but user discretion is necessary.

Hope this answers your query ...

All Answers

IspitaIspita

If you want to store multiple values .. ideally it should be master-detail custom child object, but in case you insist storing multiple values in a field then :-

1. If values are predefined and fixed ( or dont change regularly) use multipicklist

2. If the values are not fixed and can be anything use text area in conjunction with a separator say semicolon- but user discretion is necessary.

Hope this answers your query ...

This was selected as the best answer
michael_mcmahonmichael_mcmahon

Thank you Ispita. I found something last night about comma delimited values and your answer confirms that approach.  Here's the link for anyone who stumbles upon this in the future: http://blog.jeffdouglas.com/2012/04/10/convert-a-related-list-to-a-comma-separated-list/