function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
IntaccterIntaccter 

Web Integration Links for Custom Objects

The Summer Release contains WIL for custom objects, but it seems that you cannot embed a value from a custom field (from a standard object).  Or rather, you can embed the custom field, but the generated URL does not contain the custom field value.

In my example, I have a custom object 'Sales Quote'.  I have three custom fields on the user object I would like to include in a WIL on Sales Quote. 

Help?

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Intaccter,

Out of curiousity, does your custom object contain an explicit relationship with the User object?

IntaccterIntaccter

The custom object does not contain an explicit ink to the user object.  Should it?  I assumed that all fields listed in the 'Select Field Type' and 'Select Field' combo boxes would be available. 

thanks for your help.

DevAngelDevAngel
They are available, but without a relationship to the other object, how would we know which record to send on the merge fields from the WIL?
IntaccterIntaccter

ok -- this is very important.  The links to the custom fields in the user table work well for Opportunities and Accounts.  Am I correct in assuming the user information contained in these WILs comes from the user who authored the record, not the currently logged in user? 

We are using the user record data in the WIL as part of our single sign-on mechanism.  So, if the user data is coming from the object's author, not the active user, we will need a new approach.

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi,

No, the user info is always for the logged in user.  Clearly what is needed is a thorough discussion on WILs and the available merge fields with respect to how the data is retrieved for a related object versus the context object.

This discussion may take the form of a tech note.  I am not going to post the answer here now, as a definitive, verified narative is what is required.

Thanks Intaccter for illuminating this are of confusion.

benjasikbenjasik
Standard fields on user are available on custom objects, and custom fields are available on other objects (but not custom objects)

This is a bug and will be filed.
efantiniefantini

I'm using a WIL from a custom Tab based on a Custom Object to create a new case, it's all ok i only like to understand a method to define a number of fields on a case view, also for a custom fields.

Message Edited by efantini on 08-05-2004 02:53 PM