function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LizLiz 

sforce explorer

Hi

I have at last managed to download sforce explorer but I am not an IT developer and would like to know if there are some layman's instructions. I use Sforce connector a great deal but need to expand it's functionality.  If someone could help it would be great.

Thanks

Liz

bbs3bbs3
I downloaded it too, extracted the ZIP file and just run Setup.exe (on Windows) and it did everything on its own.
To login in into it, I used my sforce developer ID and Password (the same one I login into https://www.sforce.com/login.jsp).
LizLiz

Thanks - I managed all the installation but I am looking for some documentation on how to use the tool.  Do you know if there is any please?

Cheers

Liz

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Liz,

There is no documentation and I doubt there ever will be.

Although this tool is for developers, feel free to use it.  There is an overview of the explorer on the CRM Success site.  http://salesforce.breezecentral.com/p93111413/?start=36

Briefly, the things you can do are:

• View all aspects of you schema (tables and permissions etc).
  • Test SOQL syntax.  The sforce Explorer schema browser will help build select list by clicking the check box next to a field.
  • Test SOSL syntax.  This works in a similar way as the SOQL Tester.
  • Edit data directly from the Data Editor tab.  This allows you to edit your data in a simple grid (spreadsheet like) format.  Data edits include new and deleted records and are permanent.  Be careful.
  • DB Replication is useless to an end user, but it demonstrates how to use a couple of API calls.
  • The Documents tab is pretty good.  It provides a ui for accessing your documents and folders.  It supports double-click to launch a document and full drag and drop into and out of folders.
  • SOQL Plus is a tool for mass deletes.  It may be broken in the current released version of the explorer.  The syntax is Delete * From Account Where Name = 'MyTestAccounts';.  This will execute a query based on the "where" portion of the statement above and make a list of the ids returned.  That list will then be sent in a Delete call to delete all the records it found.  You get one chance to cancel this.  Changes cannot be undone.

That's about it.

Cheers

LizLiz

Thanks, that's helpful.

Liz

7thFloorView7thFloorView

Liz,

I have just singed up...

Where did you download the sforce SDK/studio from?

Many thanks,

Val

7thFloorView7thFloorView

Dave,

I have just signed up into the Developer's program. I will be working on the preliminary POC - integration of sforce with our legacy adapters. Can you give me some pointers - where can I download sforce SDK/studio, etc.? Our adapters can be "fitted in" J2EE JCA environment. Will I be able to create a tested? Is there anything to better the leverage?

Thanks,

Val

cell: (650)305-9344

Message Edited by 7thFloorView on 04-18-2005 01:52 PM

LizLiz

Hi

You can download it at sforce@sourceforge.net

Hope that helps

Liz

DevAngelDevAngel

Hi 7thFloorView,

Hmm..

The best place to start is with the java toolkit to get an understanding of the API and how it might differ from other web services you might be familiar with.  The sforce SDK consists of any and all of the resources here at sforce.com.  You find the platform you are working on and grab the samples and toolkits that are available for it.  The doc is for the web service (which is the same for all platforms and tools).

Studio is available in your Developer Edition (DE) of salesforce.com under the setup link.  You should be able to test anything you create as DE is for all intents and purposes a non-expiring Enterprise Edition.

Cheers