function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MikeOliverAZMikeOliverAZ 

AppExchange info

I just read about the AppExchange program, but can find little in the way of details about it on the SForce or SalesForce.com sites. So I have some questions.

1. How does this change if any the partner levels and the certification process?
2. Can AppExchange applications implement storage options other than storing data and more importantly documents on SalesForce.com?
3. Must AppExchange applications be hosted on SalesForce.com entirely or can some components be distributed?
4. Can AppExchange applications act as integration components to external legacy applications?
5. Are there any technical requirements for AppExchange that developers need be aware of beyond the sforce api?
6. Is there any AppExchange specific technical documentation?

Thanks in advance for the answers to these questions.

I might say this new direction seems interesting and perhaps even exciting, but I felt much the same way when I first viewed the Lotus Notes Partner program info. While many small companies grew and flourished in that program, many more did not and the architectural flaws of Lotus Notes and the inability to scale eventually spelled the decline.

Commentary: If this becomes an ecosystem, which to me means there are life cycles and feedback loops, and not just a means to extend and expand SalesForce.com, then I am all for it. If the architecture is guided by the needs of the ecosystem with changes that are carefully thought out, evaluated and evolutionary in standards, features and services, I am all for it. If the standards and processes are inclusive vs. exclusive, I am all for it.

Ollie
Ron HessRon Hess
I just got back from DF05 and can answer 1 or 2 of these

1. Partner program is revamped, if you are or will be a partner, re-engage now, there was a 2 hour partner summit yesterday, you need to get up to speed on what was said there, not sure how.

2. yes
3. no requirement to be 100% native and running on Salesforce , some of the best apps were hosted from multpile sites and blended in the UI. See DreamTeam as an example.

4. sure, don't see why not.

5. you ( and I ) probably will need to learn the mechanics of submiting an app to the exchange, i'm sure this doc will come along soon.
6. i think they are working on this now.

these are just my observations, it's a very exciting program.
MikeOliverAZMikeOliverAZ
Thanks, good answers.

You (and others perhaps) might be interested in a Tutorial I just published on IBM Developer Works in the Open Source area. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-cms3-i.html

Ollie
spazurespazure
Thanks for sharing!
djensen47djensen47
Where can I find this DreamTeam application? Is it an example app with sample code?

Furthmore, where is the main repository of documentation on the salesforce website? I can find the sforce api PDF and the "custom force for smarties" pdf but I cannot find any more docs for: s-controls, more on customforce (multiforce, etc), AJAX kit.

Thanks in advance.

Ron Hess wrote:

3. no requirement to be 100% native and running on Salesforce , some of the best apps were hosted from multpile sites and blended in the UI. See DreamTeam as an example.

SuperfellSuperfell
Most of the docs are directly in the help in the application.