function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PikolinachanPikolinachan 

Upsert a custom object and lookup relation's external id using Bulk API

Hello all,
I am new to Salesforce and am currently trying to use the Bulk API to import data into my salesforce instance.
I have a custom object named Portal with an external id (ep_portal_id). Each portal object has a lookup relationship with an Account object. I have made a ep_partner_id field as an external id to the Account object.

So far I have successfully upsert portal objects with a reference to an Account object using the Account's salesforce object id (I am using the Bulk Example Java code from the Bulk API doc). Instead, I would like to upsert a Portal with a reference to the Account by using the Account's external id (ep_partner_id). I played around with the Data Loader and found out the syntax that works is like this in my CSV file:

ep_portal_id__c,Account__r:ep_partner_id__c,Name
333,222,"Floral Elegance"

However using the same CSV file when doing an upsert via Bulk API, Eclipse complains with: "stateMessage='InvalidBatch : Field name not found : Account__r:ep_partner_id__c'"

Does anyone know the correct syntax to use in my CSV file so that the Bulk API can do the upsert on updating a reference to an Account on my Portal object using the Account's external id?

Much thanks in advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
PikolinachanPikolinachan

Thanks Solees. I actually contacted helpline from Salesforce.

ep_portal_id__c,Account__r.ep_partner_id__c, Name

The <relation object>.<external id> syntax works. It didn't work for me when I had the external id at the end like :ep_portal_id__c, Name, Account__r.ep_partner_id__c so I believe that  order matters.

All Answers

SoleesSolees

Bulk API doesn't understand relationships.  You could try the non bulk API to clear this out.

cheers

PikolinachanPikolinachan

Thanks Solees. I actually contacted helpline from Salesforce.

ep_portal_id__c,Account__r.ep_partner_id__c, Name

The <relation object>.<external id> syntax works. It didn't work for me when I had the external id at the end like :ep_portal_id__c, Name, Account__r.ep_partner_id__c so I believe that  order matters.

This was selected as the best answer
commercial coecommercial coe
What do i do if i dont have any external id field, but have lookup relationship field in my custom object. I need to populate the lookup field with values usinng data loader.