function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeriMorrisJeriMorris 

Unauthenticated Community

I'm tryiing to develop a Community that provides access to Answers, Ideas, and Knowledge without requiring authentication. I've created a Community and configured the Public Access Profile to give it access to the right objects and tabs, but when I try to go to the Community, it prompts me to log in.

I should be able to create a Community that exposes at least some content without requiring users to log in, shouldn't I? What's the trick to configuring that?

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

You can use Guest UserLicense, it is designed for public users who access your Site.com or Force.com sites.
If Communities is enabled, these users also have access to public pages in your communities.
Site visitors have access to any information made available in an active public site. For each Guest User license, you can develop one site for your organization.

Refer: https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_license_types_sites.htm&language=en_US

JeriMorrisJeriMorris

Thanks, but this is only part of what I'm looking for.

Is it true that unauthenticated Community visitors can't see any Salesforce tabs, even for VF pages for which I've created tabs and granted access?

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Yes, guest users can only have the ability to read/create on standard objects and full CRUD on custom objects.

Refer: http://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000006778&language=en_US

JeriMorrisJeriMorris

Hi Vinita,

Useful article - thank you! However, I don't see anything there (or anywhere else) where it says that Guest Users can't see standard SF tabs either for objects they have access to or for Visualforce pages.

If a Guest User has read access to Account, why can't they see the Account tab? If I've created a VF page and related tab, and I've given a Guest User access to that tab, why can't they see that tab? (They can see the page, but not the tabs.)

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

As Guest users don't have access on lot of things, that is why article specifies only those components on which they have access :)

JeriMorrisJeriMorris

My concern is less about access to objects (I understand those restrictions) and more about access to UI components like  tabs.

I created a VF page as the default landing page. The page has showHeader=true. The page is associated with a VF Tab, and the tab has been added to the Community. The Public Access Profile has access to both the page and the tab. Yet when the guest user goes to the site, while they can see the page, the page doesn't show the tab. No tabs at all show across the top of the page.

What I can't tell is whether this is normal (guest users simply don't see tabs ever, even if they're configured to have access to them), or whether I've missed something in my configuration.

SchultzySchultzy
Hey Jeri and Vinita, was wondering if you ever figured this out.  I'm trying to do the same thing and it's so simple that I don't understand what I might be doing wrong.  The article Vinita linked to includes the line: 

These profiles are associated to guest user licenses which give the ability to read/create on standard objects and full CRUD on custom objects.  However, by default no CRUD is given.  

So just as you described, you're able to give say Create on Case.  But how do you actually access Cases?  Custom VF would do it but if I can control CRUD on Case, and control the visibility to the Case tab, what exactly is preventing the tab from showing up in the Community?  Seems so simple.

Has anyone been able to get the tabs to show up in the nav bar in a public-facing Community?  
Richard JosephRichard Joseph
Hi Everyone - I came into the same issue . I dont want my community to be available for Unauthenticated users. I went ahead added Login ip rage to Guest User License profile.(made it 0- 1) So that no one other than authenticated users are able to login.