function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brandy C ColmerBrandy C Colmer 

Milestones PM Best Practices Question/Discussion

So I am digging into Milestones PM more, and of course, its awesome.  I am pretty inexperienced at the discipline of PM, but I need something to keep my stuff on track, plus I want to learn this app so I am modding it a bit to work the way I work. 

I have taken out a lot of the summary fields and the concept of sub milestones, just because I need a more simple model to get started with.  I am thinking that I would like to track Times in relationship to Milestones, rather than Tasks, so I created a lookup on Times to Milestones.  

My question is, is that lame?  I mean If I create a somewhat simple project with a few milestones, and then track time against those, rather than more specific tasks, am I missing out on something?

Any PM wisdom that people want to share is much appreciated.  

ReidCReidC

there's no single right answer on this.  part of my goal in this data model was to create something that i though would work for the way I have historically worked.  for example, i tend to work with clients for years and years in very flexible, fluid "projects" that have subprojects or milestones that are a little more focused.  And for me, I want to track infomation at both levels.  If I had a project representing the work i did for FictionalCorp, Inc., in 2007, i could get a nice total for that year.  Milestones underneath then might also be monthyl activities, so some short term, yet multistep goal.

Make sense? 

The other usecase I've found for it recently is tracking sprint related activity for some dev projects. There are some thing I would like to do to improve this, but overall, it's not a bad start.

Brandy C ColmerBrandy C Colmer

Actually this helps a lot.  Looking forward to anymore blogposts or whatever you put out about this.