function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MarkSilberMarkSilber 

Error when trying to merge 2 groups with GroupMaster

I have 2 Chatter groups - both are decent size - 30-40 members and a few hundred posts each. I'm trying to merge them using the GroupMaster app. The app says everything finished, but the groups are not merged. When I look at the Apex Jobs history, I see an error "First error: List of size 25349122 exceeds heap limit. Try a smaller batch size."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
jhersh1jhersh1

Hiya, I wrote GroupMaster.

If you are copying Chatter posts with large content documents attached, the app can sometimes reach its heap limit when it reads those files into memory. This is a known platform limitation; currently the only way to copy a content post is by reading the file into memory.

In the next release (Summer '11), we will be able to copy Content posts without reading their documents into memory and I will patch GroupMaster accordingly.

Until then, your best bet is to delete threads with large content posts before using GroupMaster to copy them. Not a great workaround, I know. 

Let me know if you have any other questions/comments/suggestions - jhersh@salesforce.com

All Answers

jhersh1jhersh1

Hiya, I wrote GroupMaster.

If you are copying Chatter posts with large content documents attached, the app can sometimes reach its heap limit when it reads those files into memory. This is a known platform limitation; currently the only way to copy a content post is by reading the file into memory.

In the next release (Summer '11), we will be able to copy Content posts without reading their documents into memory and I will patch GroupMaster accordingly.

Until then, your best bet is to delete threads with large content posts before using GroupMaster to copy them. Not a great workaround, I know. 

Let me know if you have any other questions/comments/suggestions - jhersh@salesforce.com

This was selected as the best answer
MarkSilberMarkSilber

Thanks for the quick response and update. I'll try to remove some large documents from the group to see if that helps. If not, I'll just wait for Summer '11 which isn't that far off in the future.

jhersh1jhersh1

Hey again,

Big news - I've patched Groupmaster to take advantage of 2 new Summer '11 features:

* Groupmaster now copies the new Information Title and Information Body fields on Groups

* Groupmaster now copies content posts without duplicating the content documents themselves, which should address the heap issue we were discussing previously

Look for a new package on the Appexchange this weekend!

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Just tried to merge the same 2 large groups in a Summer '11 upgraded sandbox and it didn't work or show any errors in the Apex Jobs history. Any ideas?

As a side note, will the original created dates be maintained when merging from the old group?

jhersh1jhersh1

Can you confirm you're running the new version of the app? Can you share a login with me?

Yes, groupmaster maintains createddates on posts and comments.

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Yes - shows v1.3 installed today from the link you posted. Just sent you a DM with my email info.

MarkSilberMarkSilber

After some super quick turnaround and small code changes, the GroupMaster application worked perfectly to merge 2 very large Chatter groups.

Thanks jhersh for fixing this so quickly.