function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
S_2013S_2013 

How to migrate custom APP through Eclipse?

Hello... I am trying to migrate a custom APP from one sandbox to another but cant seem to find the way to do it though Eclipse IDE. Can anyone please help?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc

Applications are a top level metadata component and should be accessible in the project properties of your IDE project. 

In the end, the project properties are just modifying the package.xml. So you could open that in the Eclipse text editor and add this to the XML there. Save it, then refresh from server, and the apps should appear: 

<types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>CustomApplication</name>
    </types>

Make sure you don't break the other XML in there. For instance, in the project I took that out of, the entire package.xml text looks like this: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Package xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexClass</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexTrigger</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>topic_Graylisted_Topic__c</members>
        <name>CustomObject</name>
    </types>
    <version>28.0</version>
</Package>

Don't necessarily copy paste this exactly, as the version needs to be in sync with your version of the Force.com plugin. 

You can also manually create package.xml using information from the metadata API guide, and use the workbench to retrieve from one sandbox and deploy to another. 

If you do have difficulty getting it to work, you could also deploy using a change set. 

All Answers

DarrellDDarrellD

What problem are you having? Are these both your Sandboxes? What type of Sandboxes are they?

If they are both your Sandbox you should be able to achieve this.

S_2013S_2013

Hi Darell,

Thank you for replying... Ours is Unlimited edition and I want to migrate a custom App from one sandbox to another(both are full copy sandboxes).

Problem is that, under Project>Force.com>Add Remove Metadata Components I am not getting any checkbox called "App". So how do I migrate custom App? Is it even possible through Eclipse?

Regards

Sankalita

Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc

Applications are a top level metadata component and should be accessible in the project properties of your IDE project. 

In the end, the project properties are just modifying the package.xml. So you could open that in the Eclipse text editor and add this to the XML there. Save it, then refresh from server, and the apps should appear: 

<types>
        <members>*</members>
    </types>

Make sure you don't break the other XML in there. For instance, in the project I took that out of, the entire package.xml text looks like this: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Package xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexClass</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>ApexTrigger</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>topic_Graylisted_Topic__c</members>
        <name>CustomObject</name>
    </types>
    <version>28.0</version>
</Package>

Don't necessarily copy paste this exactly, as the version needs to be in sync with your version of the Force.com plugin. 

You can also manually create package.xml using information from the metadata API guide, and use the workbench to retrieve from one sandbox and deploy to another. 

If you do have difficulty getting it to work, you could also deploy using a change set. 

This was selected as the best answer
AroraAnupAroraAnup

Change sets are much simpler and cleaner option for deploying Apps from one org to the other. Does not involve any coding or IDE installation and are generally easier to use. App is one of the component that can be deployed using Change Sets.

Here is a video from You Tube where you can get step-by-step guidlines for using Change sets for deployment - http://youtu.be/1JyPm30caE8

Hope this helps. Good luck!

DarrellDDarrellD
But he was talking about a package. You cannot use change sets with packages you develop because these must be done in Development org which, until the Environment Hub goes GA, cannot be connected to other orgs through Change Sets.

The app you are referring to is just a collection of tabs not a true package.
Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
You sure that the original question is about a package? I don't see that. But this would be a valuable clarification S_2013. When I see the words "custom app", in Salesforce parlance, a custom app is an application (group of tabs, as DarrellD puts it), not an app exchange package. Either way, this requires some clarification.
DarrellDDarrellD
I may be incorrect. I responded before looking at original question but
yes, the difference is big in terms of how to achieve the results.
S_2013S_2013

Actually my question is about a custom App and not a package. Am trying to deploy an App that I created (with logo and tab arrangements etc... ) from one Sandbox to another. Through Eclipse I did not find any way of doing it. I guess it is not possible thru Eclipse. However, if I am wrong, pls let me know ...

Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
Have you read my reply above? The Force.com plugin should be able to deploy this application.

But you will need to manually add all dependencies, in other words, each tab, object, workflow rule, etc. will need to be deployed with the application or it will not deploy successfully.
S_2013S_2013

Hi Peter,

Yes you were absolutety right, thanks! I got this option from IDE itself, my bad! it is called "applications" and comes on clicking Add/Remove button. Dont know why I couldn't find it first time!:(

Regards

Sankalita

Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
No worries. Glad to help, Sankalita.
Rafal GalazkiewiczRafal Galazkiewicz
I have an issue with 2 custom apps which I can see in the wizard when I define content of the project, even when I narrow down to only these 2 apps I want to see in the project -> they still don't come while doing refresh according to package.xml definition when I can see them specified in members tag for CustomApplication. What is there wrong?
Rafal GalazkiewiczRafal Galazkiewicz
OK, I got the answer. If your app has a logo and image is located in your personal document library, it might be causing this issue. So make sure where is the logo if you use one and then check if that helps.