function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OzOz 

Appexchange and S-Controls

I am currently creating a custom application to be deployed through appexchange. My question is as follows:

I have an S-Control that receives user input , and I would like to save the information that the user has entered. I know there are a couple of posibilities.

1. Use a soap call through Javascript to a server and save the information in my servers.
2. Email the information to me so that I can enter it to Sales Force.

The reason for saving the user information is that I also want to create another S-Control where the user can come back and check on the status of their inquiry. I know this second S-Control will have to interact with an external server.

Can anyone offer any help?
adamgadamg
Um, I think you left out option #3, which is to save the information back to salesforce via the API. That would seem to make the most sense, and is what the AJAX toolkit is designed to do. I actually don't know how it would be possible to do the first or second option, but I may be misunderstanding something
Ron HessRon Hess
Adam has is right, your S-Control is already authenticated with the API, why not just create a document in the document tab, or an attachment to an existing ( or custom ) object.

With a well known name you could fetch the data later.

with the appExcange you can 'package' a document folder with your app, this folder is deployed into the target org at install time, you can then use that folder as scratch space.
OzOz
Well, what I am doing is collecting information. After I collect information I want to send to save it in the custom Object and also somehow make it available to myself, that is why I was looking into emailing the information to myself.

I havent been successful in finding much information on appexchange. Is there any documentation lying around that I should look it. I would be happy to read documentation.

Thanks for the help guys.
Ron HessRon Hess
i'll see what docs i can find, and post some links.

Note: one of the things that salesforce.com will be very careful about is allowing developers to build and post apps for public use which send customer data somewhere that the customer does not expect, that would be a no no.

so, i think an app such as you describe would be a 'private for my clients' type of app, no ?

Message Edited by Ron Hess on 12-04-2005 10:47 PM

OzOz
Correct, it is a service we offer to the client. The client knows that the information will be submitted to us.

Thanks again for the help.
Ron HessRon Hess
The AppExchange Devleopers Guide is not quite ready, will post soon.

most of the aspects / concepts for developing on the AppExchange platform will be easily understood by developers.

at a high level they are

build an app by Customization ( new custom objects, new tabs, new reports, formulas, workflows, etc.)
pull data together in clever ways using S-Controls and AJAX
Brand it with your logo, powerpoints, breeze, pdf's
Package all that up
register it on AppExchage
Share it with your friends and clients,
and to make public
- submit to saleforce for review
- go live.

So, much of the doc that you need is already out there in the form of on-line help, API docs, Customization guides, etc.

What is missing is :
- how to package
- how to register
- what will pass review ( and what will not)
- how to submit for review
- how long does this take
- and a FAQ

there is probably more that i'm missing; this list is not complete, jsut wanted to let you know that we are workin on it.

what else would you like to see in the AppEXchange Developer Guide ?
BHDeveloperBHDeveloper
I am working with Rob Lamb to identify a way to creat custom objects with the API. We are a offer an permission based email marketing service. I hav been reviewing the "SalesForce Web Services Developer Guide" and have not found a way to create custom objects using the guide. I was directed to search here for a solution. Your post mentioned "packaging". Is that the way to create custom objects for ust to populate data into?

Matthew Waclawik
Prodcut Manager
Ron HessRon Hess
there is no API call which will create a custom object.
but , after Winter06 release, you can create a custom object and package this into an app on the AppExchange and your customers / clients can load/install/deploy this object into their orgs.

if i understand, i think this is what you are looking for?

i.e: the ablility to create an object which can be loaded into your cusomers' org.
that's the AppExchange, comming soon.
mattc191mattc191
Ron,

I am in the same boat as the previous developer mentioned here. We are an email service provider looking to integrate with salesforce. After doing extensive reading I have come to the following conclusions, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You can use the Ajax toolkit to manipulate quite a bit of information within the salesforce environment, but it is virtually impossible to use as an integration platform with 3rd party sites due to various browser security issues

2) The web services/soap integration piece is only available to Enterprise customers. So if I come up with an App that exchanges data on the backend to get around the limitations of #1, then my application will only be available to Enterprise customers.

From what I can see these are the two primary methods for integrating third-party applications with Salesforce. As an example of something we might like to be able to do, we'd like salesforce users to be able to select a group of contacts and then initiate a mailing through our interface, embedded inside salesforce.com.

Please let me know your thoughts--thanks in advance for your help!

Matt
Ron HessRon Hess
Yes, AJAX is not the best for 3rd party integrations
Yes, most partners sell their integrations to our Enterprise customers, which represent a majority.

For additional ideas on building integrations please contact our partner team.