function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PradPrad 

SControl question

Hi, Im a newbie to Salesforce, and I need to build a simple SControl rather quickly.

I am able to use merge fields to reference the data from the object (say, Opportunity) and display a form in the SControl. Is there a way I can post back data from SControl to the parent object - that is, I want to save certain changes made by the user in the SControl into the opportunity fields. Is this possible?

If so, how can I point the SControl form submit action to the Opportunity tab? The {!Scontrol_URL} takes me to the same page again. Also, I tried using some server-side (ASP) script in the SControl, and it does not seem to work. Can someone point me to a right direction? Thanks.
andyCandyC
Have you tried the AJAX toolkit - have a look at this presentation for starters http://www.crmsuccess.com/browse/content_detail.jsp?id=006300000034wf6AAA

PradPrad
Thanks Andy. I started using the AJAX kit, and am able to use simple login calls and execute SELECT queries using Query method. But, how do I update data using SOQL - it does not seem to support UPDATE statements?? I need to update the data from my S-Control into the parent custom object record. Is there another way to do this without SOQL? Thanks.
andyCandyC

It's not SOQL that performs updates or creates, you code it directly using a Dynabean - see example javascript below:  

For create:          

var newOpp   = new Sforce.Dynabean("Opportunity");
var oppArray = new Array(1);

newOpp.set("CloseDate",   new Date());
newOpp.set("Name",        "something");
oppArray[0] = newOpp;

var cr = sforceClient.Create(oppArray);         opportunityID = cr[0].id;

For an update, use sforceClient.Update and make sure you set the Id eg. newOpp.set("Id", theID);  

Hope that helps.

PradPrad

Andy, this is my code excerpt - its working well upto setting new value for AD_Client_manager__C in BQW record. After that, when I call sforceClient.Update, I get below error in updateResults, and value does not get updated. Can you help?

faultstring:java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty string

faultcode: soapenv: Server

Code Excerpt:

var BQWName = "{!Business_Qualification_Worksheet_Name}";

var qr = sforceClient.Query("Select Name,AD_Client_manager__c, Additional_Details__c, Date_and_Time__c, Id, Opportunity__c, PL_s_Affected__c, Potential_Profit_Margin__c, Potential_Project_Amount__c, Proposal_Submission_Date__c, Q1_answers__c, Q1_Notes__c, Q10_answers__c, Q10_Notes__c, Q2_answers__c, Q2_Notes__c, Q3_answers__c, Q3_Notes__c, Q4_answers__c, Q4_Notes__c, Q5_answers__c, Q5_Notes__c, Q6_answers__c, Q6_Notes__c, Q7_answers__c, Q7_Notes__c, Q8_answers__c, Q8_Notes__c, Q9_answers__c, Q9_Notes__c, Total_Score__c from Business_Qualification_Worksheet__c where Name = '" + BQWName + "'");

if (qr.getClassName() == "QueryResult")

{

if (qr.size == 1)

{

alert("Inside qr.size")

var BQW = qr.records[0]

var BQWName = BQW.get("Name");

alert("BQWName - " + BQWName);

alert("AD Manager - " + BQW.get("AD_Client_manager__C"));

BQW.set("AD_Client_manager__C", "ADMgr");

alert("AD Manager now - " + BQW.get("AD_Client_manager__C"));

var updateResults = sforceClient.Update(qr.records);

alert(updateResults);

}

}

PradPrad
Hi Andy, the error occurs because one of the fields in the record is empty, which I should fix in another way. But, the update is working now. I am able to see the changes. Thanks.
PradPrad

Hi Andy,

I am making progress in my scontrol. Do you know if I can access the Profile of the user logged in - if he is a marketing manager etc from the sControl. Something close to GetUserInfoResult object in the API.

Thanks

Pradeep

Ron HessRon Hess
i believe you can query the Profile table using SOQL passed thru the AJAX toolkit, it's just another table.

select ... from Profile where Id = 'the profile you want'

you may need to get the users profile id from the user table , and if you look around inside the AJAX toolkit src you can find a getUserInfo function which may return some info you need.