function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KitiKiti 

Best Practices: Collaborative development, version control and sandboxes

Hi All,

This is a repost of a question which went unanswered in the 'General Developments' thread.  Would be grateful for feedback and shared experiences.

I'm looking at best practice suggestions for collaborative development in Force.com.  I'm working on a project which is scaling up from a single developer to several. 

Ideally I'd like us to work in seperate sandboxes, merge and deploy to a single pre-release sandbox, test, tag and deploy from there.  I'm considering using local version control via the IDE and forcing state changes in the cloud through forced 'save to server's. 

A couple of questions:

i) How do others handle collaboration and versioning?

ii) Can one version state of non-programmatic constructs (ie. custom objects, etc)?

iii) Is there someway of cloning the state of my sandbox directly into that of another developer's sandbox?

Any thoughts / suggestions / lesson-from-the-field would be valuable.

Thanks,

R.

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Ideally you should be developing in a single developer org as the base database will be similar for all the developers and you will not need to bother about integrating the
work of different users, as integration from different orgs may cause issues.
Besides many people can remotely work on a single org so the fact that many people will be working should not be limiting factor.
Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

mejoemejoe

> Ideally you should be developing in a single developer org

Is this really a recommended approach? In my previous development experience, this has never been a good practice. It seems like a recipe for disaster as development can be violatile.  What happens when my changes conflict with another team member? The last thing I want is to spend hours trouble shooting when the issue was related to a team member's change.

Additionally, how can you manage source code version control if you are all working on the same branch of code?

I'm new to Force.com, so I admit there may be differences inherent in the platform.  I'll need some solid evidence though to convince me that sharing a sandbox is a good idea.