function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
infmsinfms 

Making custom objects Chatter-enabled

Hi,

I have a custom event object that contains name, date, time, etc.  I'd like updates to show up on a news feed whenever a user creates a new Event or makes any changes to the event.  I'd also like other users to be able to follow and comment on this event.  I realize that Chatter is new, but is there any documentation available that can guide me?

I am fairly new to the force.com environment and any links to resources would be helpful.  I appreciate all of your suggestions.  Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
cloudcodercloudcoder

Chatter makes this very easy. Simply enable it through FeedTracking (Setup | Customize | Chatter | FeedTracking

You should see your custom object in the list. Select it, choose the fields you want to track, and you are done.

All Answers

cloudcodercloudcoder

Chatter makes this very easy. Simply enable it through FeedTracking (Setup | Customize | Chatter | FeedTracking

You should see your custom object in the list. Select it, choose the fields you want to track, and you are done.

This was selected as the best answer
infmsinfms

Wow, that was much easier than expected.  Thanks for the quick response!

Couple more additional questions. 

1.) When I first create the object, there is no news about it on my follower's feeds, until they follow the event manually.  Is there any way to have the creation of the event displayed on all of my follower's news feeds, without them having to follow the event first?

2.) I am also displaying these events on a custom site.  How can I create links on each event page that will let the user follow the event on Chatter?

Thanks again!

Message Edited by infms on 03-24-2010 04:35 PM
cloudcodercloudcoder

You could put a trigger on the object, say Account, that on insert create a new FeedPost from you, the account creator to say something like "hey I just made this account". Anyone following you would see this message.

Check out the recipes article for code that should get you started.

If you think that solved your issue/questions, click the big green solutions button next to this response.

SicVancouverSicVancouver

I have a master object that I want to make chatter enabled. How could I set something similar to field tracking that would post into the master's feed when a related object has been added or removed? The field updates are nice... however those are not the only way to modify an object.

e.g. an Order has a list of OrderItems. When someone follows an Order he should see posts in the feed when ites are added to the order.

One option would be to set up a roll-up summary field like OrderItem_count and track that one in the feed... but it's still not giving the details.

I suppose one can write a trigger...

However the entire scenario seems so typical to me that I'd be surprised if Salesforce folks haven't had a solution for this already.

thanks for any ideas!

Ken KoellnerKen Koellner

Anyone know how to deploy the Chatter definition on a custom object.  I read that if you have an object name Foo__c, the feed is in Foo_Feed__c.

Do you deploy that object?

Or do you have to go through the same setup procedure in your production org?

I'm hoping to deploy via the ant metadata tool.

uwgruwgr

How would I go about creating a trigger on an object to trigger a feed post on an account or contact when a new item is created on my custom object?

Emily BarranEmily Barran
Hi, 

I have a custom object which I want to add chatter to. I have tried to enable tracking, but salesforce gives me a list of all the parts of the custom object to add tracking too. I tried that for 20 different parts of the object (the limit SF gives) but couldn't see the feed anywhere on the custom object page - any ideas?

Thanks!
Emily
Jaweed BashaJaweed Basha
Hi Guys,
I need your help in creating Chatter Feed Tracking through Apex Trigger. I have a Custom Object with 8 Related List Objects. Whenever a related object record is created or deleted a chatter post need to shown. I tried this in Standard way using Feed Tracking but it only creates chatter post when a record is created. Its not working when the record is deleted. I need to show the chatter feed even for the deletion Example( Test123- Jaweed deleted a capture team).  

Thanks, Jaweed