function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
infoweldernickinfoweldernick 

Which IDE are people using to develop Chatter applications?

I'm interested to hear how people are doing their Chatter development. 

Since the Chatter API is not supported in the Force.com toolkit for Eclipse, is everyone using the native IDE to develop?

I'd be interested to hear any feedback anyone has about best practices. 

cloudcodercloudcoder

You are correct. Right now you are a little limited in choices. The browser is your only choice for Apex & Visualforce, but there are some tools like SoqlXplorer that you can use to query the schema etc. I typically write and test my SOQL statements in SoqlXplorer first anyway, and then add them to my code.

HTH 

d3developerd3developer
+1 for SOQLExplorer

Thanks for the feedback.  It looks like there may be some workaround to using API 18 in Eclipse as well.

Use v18 API in Eclipse 

d3developerd3developer
There is no problem developing for api v. 18.0 in Eclipse with that method, you just won't be able to see the added objects and fields that are a part of api v. 18.0 in the schema browser.

Correct, which is much less useful.

I'm also now seeing that SoqlXplorer is only for Mac?  So I guess if you are using Windows, you are stuck with the native browser-based IDE or installing a Mac emulator?

Note to Salesforce: Why not make a new release of the Force.com IDE for Eclipse available with your release cycle of each API version instead of every-other version?  If you truly want developers to adopt new features of your platform, you need to make it easier for them.

cloudcodercloudcoder

Point taken re release vs. IDE version.

In the meantime, you could try the sForce explorer. I'm on a mac, so I am not sure whether it has been updated to v18, but the following thread suggests it is not, but provides a way you can update it by using the latest WSDL.

I do use sForce explorer, but have used it less frequently lately because of only being able to use older API versions.

Since we only develop for the cloud (tic) we don't use .NET tools, so recompiling the source is more effort than it's worth for us.

Maybe this is an excuse for me to go buy a Mac? 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. 

Message Edited by infoweldernick on 03-29-2010 07:30 AM