function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JudyJudy 

how to pass down information from one object to another object

Hi

Please let me know the best way or workaround for below:-

I have a calculated custom field at the detail page. how can i have this field available at the related list page so that a  further calculation can be done at the related list record?

For example, Project detail page - i have a calculated field called Average Daily Rate.
At the related list; the Project Planning stage, i need to show the average daily rate, so that i can make a further calculation of man days * average daily rate at each record level

If you have the steps to create above, pls do share with me.

Thanks!

Judy
HardhatHardhat
Rather than using a formula field, try using a Workflow Field Update to update a number field, and trigger your workflow rule on whenever Man Days is updated.  Workflow Field Update can look up to parent objects and use those results to fill the values of fields.
JudyJudy

Hello, i'm on professional edition, so the workflow rule is not available to me at this point..

Any other alternatives?

thanks, Judy

HardhatHardhat
Sorry, I can't think of anything that would do the trick in PE.
JudyJudy

hi, i'm trying to test out the workflow rule you've mentioned earlier in the developer account but can't seem to get it working.

do you have the steps for this?

Cheers, judy

JohanLiljegrenJohanLiljegren
In the Summer '08 release (June maybe?) SFDC are planning to release on this idea: http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/10079268
Maybe that's worth waiting for for this problem?
shan876shan876
Could you do Triggers?? If yes then I would write a trigger then to update the field from another object...
JudyJudy

Hello! Are you talking abt apex triggers? if yes, then this feature is not available to me ...

shan876shan876
what is available to you???I thought triggers were standard in any salesforce object?
JohanLiljegrenJohanLiljegren
The availability of Apex depends on your edition of Salesforce.
I know it's available in Unlimited, Enterprise and Developer Edition. Don't think it's available in the others.