function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
michaelforcemichaelforce 

s-Control limitations?

The help files tell me that there is a 1 million character limit on s-Controls.  They then vaguely mention the ability to reference outside files:

If you are uploading a file as part of the custom s-control, insert the {!Scontrol_URL} merge field to reference the file.

With the creation of the AJAX toolkit, I would imagine that more people are going to want to upload a file they've been working on their desktop and then creating an s-Control which references it for convenience / maintenance purposes if not becuase of the size limit.

Can anyone shed some more light on this ability?

Message Edited by michaelforce on 08-13-2006 08:51 AM

DevAngelDevAngel
What is the question?
michaelforcemichaelforce
lol.... You're a no non-sense kind of guy eh?

Question:  The help files say that you can reference outside files in your sControls... but where would these files be located?  Is it possible to use the documents tab?  If so, does that mean you would have to make it accessible to anyone who may need to run the sControl?
DevAngelDevAngel
You can link in other files such as js libraries from publicly accessible urls or from documents in the documents tab.  Anyone with access to those "documents" will be able to successfully retrieve the code.  If you are going to package the scontrol as part of an app, then that technique wont work because, although you can package documents, the Id of the documents will not be the same once installed.

Does that answer work?
michaelforcemichaelforce
Yes, thank you for the info
Ron HessRon Hess
Actually the ID of a document that is hard-coded into an scontrol is fixed up (corrected) at the time an appexchange package is installed if the document is also packaged in the app.

There is an example of this in the new "Mass Update Opportunites" application on the appexchange.

this is a Turbo AJAX grid listing opportunities and features inline editing.  the Turbo AJAX is installed into the document tab at install time.
ales.pales.p

What do you mean with "fixed-up"? Does it mean that URL change automatically inside S-Control?

What happen if I use this Document URL inside Custom Formula Fields?

I already posted that similar problem here:
http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=ajax_toolkit&message.id=956

Thanks in advance.

Alex